Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some help w/ BB ribs please --have never done before and will be only my 5th cook on new Traeger Silverton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some help w/ BB ribs please --have never done before and will be only my 5th cook on new Traeger Silverton

Greets to all --subject line says it to some degree --got Swift BB ribs (3 rack pack) -am doing 2 of them tomorrow --never done before because they're always more expensive, but Costco had for same price as SL.

Followed all the tips about removing membrane but it just wouldn't come loose --got the area up off a bone w/ butter knife but every time I slipped my finger under, it just tore. I took a very sharp small blade and split the membrane all the way across between each bone and then made multiple slits across everything for the length of the racks.

Right now they're well rubbed w/ Kosher salt --have them in a big pot covered in fridge -- after 6 hrs plan to drown them in apple juice overnight , take them out and do them w/ MHG rub w/ slightly less pepper. Is there anything wrong w/ what I've already done and plan on doing ?

I'd like to try the Blasphemy ribs ala mgaretz, but have a feeling his sauce is essential to his awesome production --I'm utterly sauce unskilled ( let alone using a pellet grill ) - my big experiment so far on the SL racks I've done was to take Sweet Baby Ray sauce and customize it a tad w/ some additions of various Stubbs products and maple syrup. This was done following the Last Meal Ribs recipe ( pg. 206 of MH's book )

All suggestions to improve on my plan will be much appreciated --I hope mgaretz sees this and posts his sauce recipe here. I am going to the public area after posting to see what I can find re sauce recipes/technique ( I spritz w/ apple juice every 30 min till its time to sauce them ). Both the wife and I can't handle more than very lightly peppered; hot sauces and chili are taboo for medical reasons.

Thanks to all for for any tips of things to do .

I read that some Swift BBR's come with membrane off.
    I have only cooked ribs with the last supper recipie and they always come out great on the pellet pooper!

Or was it blasphemy, heck, just what I found in Meatheads book/site........advanced CRS.....

Comment

• barebear
      barebear commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow - that may explain why I had major membrane trouble w/ only one rack of the 3 rib pack I bought. Thanks ! What brand pellet grill and approx. cook time ?

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm using a Camp Chef Smokenoob DLX
      Mine take about 5-6 hours on high-smoke 225F

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Second that. The Swift baby backs I get at our Costco usually have the membrane removed already, bless them.

I don't spritz because of the impact on temperature (anyone agree / disagree?) and smoke density. I also think don't worry about the membrane because if I have a rack that's a bit on the thin side, I put it in the cooker with the membrane on, and up - meat side down. I think it keeps the ribs more moist. But I'm not using a pellet grill...

Lastly, I've done thick meaty pork ribs Blasphemy style with a dry rub - no sauce. No leftovers either.

Comment

• barebear
      barebear commented
      Editing a comment
      TYSM ! The 2 racks I/m going to do are super meaty -- how do you feel about my pre-cook doings ?

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      I like what you're doing pre-cook, but only do one-step myself. I'm into maple with pork right now, but in the past have done a salt water marinade. Loved it. Best advice is to document everything you do so you can repeat it exactly, and adjust it as you refine your expectations.
      Last edited by JGo37; August 22, 2018, 03:42 PM.

Two suggestions- don't worry anymore about the membrane. There's a chance yours was already off and you're trying to remove the 'other' membrane, which doesn't come off. Even if the removable one IS still on, it won't hurt anything, don't worry any more about it.

Second- skip the apple juice soak. It will be a solvent and it will pull the salt right back out that you added with your dry brine. It won't add hardly anything to the ribs in the big picture, as a marinade, my feelings are it will negate things.

Check out these articles to help you on your path to rib perfection!

Last Meal Ribs recipe/technique (for a refresher): https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ve-ever-tasted

Dry brining: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ul-wet-brining

Marinades, what they do and don't do: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ow-gashing-can

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the links Huskee...

• barebear
      barebear commented
      Editing a comment
      TYSM ! -was hoping you'd see this - just saw the Maple Ribs and Competiton Ribs for the first time in the public area, will skip the soak and am way relieved re the membrane issue. Will read all the links

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee took the words right out of my mouth!

One thing to remember is to relax and have patience. I cook these ribs all the time, from Costco, they always cook up great. You are starting with good meat, so you are already waaaay a head of the game, my friend.

I would avoid "downing them in apple juice." This will remove the salt that has worked its way into the meat, as the salt in the meat will try to find equaliberium. (You are essentially desalinating the ribs at this point)

Honestly, if this is your first batch of ribs, I would keep it simple. Rub the ribs down with kosher salt, let them sit overnight. The next day, apply the rest of the rub before the cook. Then just let it rip on the Traeger.

For the membrane, I like to use a butter knife. This keeps the tip of the knife from tearing or cutting through the membrane before you can grab it. I have always had better luck that way. Don't kill yourself trying o remove the membrane, I always remove it, but if I get a tough one, I leave it on.

Comment

• barebear
      barebear commented
      Editing a comment
      My first batch of BB, have done 3 SL which all turned out fine --did apple juice spritz lightly every 30 min --did use a butter knife --big relief re the membrane and will not soak per everyone's advice. TYSM again

Spinaker has it. Relax. Skip the apple juice. Rub the ribs and put them on the Traeger, and let the tool do its job. They're ribs, they'll come out great.

Comment

• barebear
      barebear commented
      Editing a comment
      Tysm !

Once again everyone is right -

Comment

• barebear
      barebear commented
      Editing a comment
      TYSM again.

Last time I bought baby back ribs at BJs Wholessle, one rack had the membrane removed and the other didn’t. They both came from the same package. Weird, but that is how it was.

Like others said, don’t bother with the apple juice. It won’t add anything.

the 3-2-1 method is proven. 3 hours at 225, then wrap them for another 2, then unwrap and mop with sauce and leave in for another hour. When I do that I get good results. I like ribs to be very tender.

Also dont worry about the sauce. Just use any commercial brand you like. There is no right or wrong sauce, so long as you like the results.

Comment

• barebear
      barebear commented
      Editing a comment
      TYSM to you too !

Nothing more to add to the wisdom above except...have fun!

Comment

• barebear
      barebear commented
      Editing a comment
      Tysm !

Pellet grill is almost cheating they will be great

Comment

• barebear
      barebear commented
      Editing a comment
      I've wanted to get away from charcoal for so long, love low and slow smoke cooking and now have the cool tool to do it with

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      "legal cheating" or maybe a pit loophole? won't be able to pry my pooper out of my cold dead hands......(that didn't come out right) ...I need to get back to my pit for therapy.....Steaming Maine-iacs are getting to me

Hey barebear! My only addition is just watch the temp on the Silverton - mine runs a bit cool set on 225 - ribs took longer than expected - like, much longer. Delicious though - worth the wait! If you find this true on yours too, you might bump the temp setting for a portion of the cook - it’ll average out. Tells us how they came out!

Comment

• barebear
      barebear commented
      Editing a comment
      My experience exactly in all respects mentioned on what I've cooked up to now -- but are you absolutely sure that its just a
      heat issue v. " the stall " ?

Yes, I plan on posting progress and occurrences as the cook progresses --wil try to take a pic. w/ my flip phone -- won't own one of those smart phones or anything even remotely like that.
      Did you bump the cook at the time you applied sauce ?
      Last edited by barebear; August 23, 2018, 12:54 AM.

• obiQsmoker
      obiQsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point, but the stalls happen as expected.
      During a recent 6.8lb pork shoulder cook I put my 2nd probe in it’s grill holder and monitored over 14-hours. Grill level was typically 7-15 degrees lower than the Traeger readout. I bounced between setting for 225 and 250 and what I expected to be a 10-hr cook still took 14. Could just be my unit. Anyway, easy to adjust for.
      Set at 250 for sauce.

I'll talk to the Traeger people and see what they have to say --I'm having the same experience w/ longer cook times but hsven't yet done the second probe thing (didn't think of it and the Traeger is still a very new thing for me)--would do it now but ribs went on at 10:45 Calif. time and I don't want to lift the lid for a while --when I do, I'll set up the probe and advise findings.
    TYSM for your comments/advice/ support !

Comment

barebear If you try the bend test to check if they are done or not, be careful as that's not always the best method for thick BBs. The ones from Costco have so much loin meat on top they will not crack. And if they do, there're usually over done at that point. I like the toothpick or probe check for tenderness as well. I also call'em done when the meat pulls back from the bone about a 1/4-1/2 inch.

Comment

• barebear
        barebear commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks ! What temp are you looking for w/ probe ?

Ok-- here I am at 2hr 20 min into maple glaze BB's on my Traeger Silverton at 225 deg.Click image for larger version

Name:	0823181408.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	553746

Comment

At 3 hrs flipped over to get rid of excess mayo and get a peek at the backside - I put mayo on w/ a spatula and coated them bigtime LOL -- using my flip phone camera --will stand closer next shotClick image for larger version  Name:	0823181440.jpg Views:	1 Size:	556.9 KB ID:	553766

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking good!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here