Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prague Powder losing its pink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prague Powder losing its pink?

Hello! I’ve had this Prague Powder for a while now, but haven’t used it in some time. I started curing some bacon today and noticed the PP is losing its pink. Should I be worried? Will this affect the curing process? Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

There are two Prague powders or insta cure salts. #1 is for foods that will be cooked after curing- like bacon and #2 for foods that are not cooked like Coppa and Breseola

There is 6.25% Sodium Nitrate (NaNo2) in Prague Powder #1 & 2. There is 4% Sodium Nitrate (NaNo3) in Prague powder #2. Both are soluble in water and both are hygroscopic which means they absorb water from the air around them.

My suspicion is that your Prague powder has absorbed water and has turned color. It is not bad or harmful to use but I'm not sure if the amount of sodium nitrite would be the same by volume.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your response! I will order some new PP and keep it in a dry place!

I've got Hoosier Farm Prague powder #1 in my pantry, and so far it is staying pink. One thing I do is tear that top seal off evenly all the way around on bottles like this, and be sure to put the lid on tight, so that the paper gasket on the lid makes full contact with the lip of the bottle. I am with Pastrami Joe on this, and think it is probably ok, but has absorbed moisture. I would personally use it and increase the amount used somewhat for this batch of bacon, then order a new bottle before you cure again.

Comment

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll order a new one, just to be safe! Thank you!

A color additive is what makes it pink. If the additive is somehow fading it won't affect PP in any way.

Comment

+1 on what JeffJ said. The pink is food coloring, to help you distinguish the PP from regular salt. My bag does have an expiration date, though. As long as you haven't hit that, you should be fine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here