Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt - No Stall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Butt - No Stall?

Is this even possible? I have 2 hunks of butt in the smoker for 7½ hours now. Put temp never about 250°F. 1 hunk has an IT of 183° and the other is 170° with no hint of a stall. Both have been rising steadily at about 1° every 10 or 15 minutes, +/-. Had anybody every experienced this before?

Yep, I've experience high stalls, about where you're talking. You may see that yet.

Comment

Thanks Huskee that thought just occurred to me after I posted the question.

Comment

I have had butts that did not stall until around 180-190, then stuck there for a couple hours.

Comment

couple of stubborn butts.......

Comment

I had 1 butt that never stalled. I also put up a post about this a while back. And the response I got was although not common it does occasionally happen. Look at the bright side if it doesn't stall you'll have a shorter cook.

Comment

I don't start probing until 7 hour or 8 hours in and I'm looking for the 165 temp or so because that's when I pan (but don't cover). I don't probe again for a few more hours looking for my target temp of 205 or so. So I probe only 2 or 3 times at the most during the entire cook. I came to realize by not constantly watching temps I forgot there was such a thing as a stall.

Comment

They never did stall. Right now they are sitting in a faux cambro until it gets closer to dinner time. I wrapped them at about 180 for the remainder of the way. Will let you know how they trimmed out. For the first time I made some of MH's Columbia Gold sauce in addition to my Barrister DEW's Pulled Pork Sauce so folks will have a choice.

Comment

I just had the same experience and it terrified me. I had never wrapped, so when this didn't stall I wrapped it in foil, then a towel, then a styro box from one of the meat shippers. Sat in there 3 hours.

I didn't expect the juice explosion when I pulled it out, and most of it when onto the kitchen range and down the burners (quite a clean up). Where did that all come from?

Comment

Doing the smallest butt I've ever done tomorrow, just 3.7 lbs, in a cooker I've never done a butt in before. No idea how long it will take, but at least Thermoworks got their cloud issue solved so I can keep an eye on it at work.

And yeah, I've had a couple of those high stalls, where I was wondering what I was going to do with the butt for six hours, and then it stalled.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewesq55 View Post
                      They never did stall. Right now they are sitting in a faux cambro until it gets closer to dinner time. I wrapped them at about 180 for the remainder of the way. Will let you know how they trimmed out. For the first time I made some of MH's Columbia Gold sauce in addition to my Barrister DEW's Pulled Pork Sauce so folks will have a choice.
                      I say count yourself lucky! An extra long faux cambro hold is WAYYY better than a stall if you ask me, assuming you like your bark level when it's cambro hold time. Twice I had a brisket not stall, THAT freaked me out. Never had a pork butt not, but have had them stall in the 170s-180s.

I think you'll really like Mh's gold sauce. Mixed with a KC sauce 50/50 it's very tasty as well, methinks.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                        Dewesq55 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I thought the Columbia Gold sauce was very good. I can see why people like it. But I have to admit that I prefer my kinda sorta Western Carolina/Lexington-style sauce. Probably has something to do with the fact that I having been using it exclusively for 25 years. When I think of "barbecue" that sauce is what I taste in my imagination.

Originally posted by Huskee View Post

I say count yourself lucky! An extra long faux cambro hold is WAYYY better than a stall if you ask me, assuming you like your bark level when it's cambro hold time.
                      I'm totally with you Huskee

Comment

Here's the pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180807_195542-2016x1512.jpg
Views:	2385
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	544841

Attached Files

Comment

• holehogg
                          holehogg commented
                          Editing a comment
                          All's well in the end. Good looking cook.

Looks delicious

Comment

Hate to say anything, have my little butt cooking (had to say it), 6 1/2 hours in, now at 180.7, never hit what I call a "hard stall", although the last 3 hours the temp increase has slowed down considerably. The graph is actually starting to look like it could be increasing more quickly again. But, the butt is only 3.7 lbs, so I wasn't figuring it would take 12 hours.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here