Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork butt toughness problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork butt toughness problem

I smoked my first pork butt (8lbs) on the PBC and noticed about 2 hours in when I checked temp one end gave me significantly more resistance than the other when I inserted the Thermapen. The temp readings were consistent on both sides but it was VERY tough to probe. I wrapped in foil when it hit 161F, added a little beverage so it wouldn't dry out and placed it on the PBC grate. When I pulled and cut the pork the temp was around 203 on one side and absolutely perfect while 209F on the "tough" side. The pork was very dry and in the picture below you can see where the one middle park looks dry. Ribs were awesome though

The pork was not injected since it was my first time smoking butt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	porkhanging.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	543906Click image for larger version

Name:	porkfinished.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	543905
    Attached Files

Holding a butt for an hour or so in a faux cambro does wonders for that.

Comment

• spoon
      spoon commented
      Editing a comment
      When do you suggest I put it in?

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      I use a stick burner, but I use 1 1/2 hour per pound as a general guideline for larger butts.

What boftx said. Even longer can be better, as well.

Comment

• spoon
      spoon commented
      Editing a comment
      I had a friend shoot me a message saying the same thing as you and boftx. I need to give that a shot. When would you say is too long to hold it?

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      spoon, the longest hold I have attempted was 5 hours, and it turned out just fine. I think it could get too mushy if you go much longer than that, though.

What temperature was your PBC running? Did the butt ever stall prior to reaching 161? The reason I ask is I did a chuck roast once on the PBC (grate, not hanging) at around 290-300. Never hit a stall and although the internal temp was consistent at 203 throughout it was dry. Not sure if the same thing could happen with a pork butt.

Comment

• spoon
      spoon commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking back on my notes it stalled at 150F. What's a good way to measure temp in a PBC? I've dropped in a probe before but I felt like it was reading cooler than it was.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here