Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezing Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing Ribs?

Has anyone smoked ribs partially and then put them in a freezer to grill at a later date? Coscto sells their ribs 3 in a pack and for my wife and I, that is way too much. I'd like to freeze half of them to throw on the grill when we are short on time. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Frank

Should be fine. I freeze a lot of finished product then warm it up. Don't expect any kind of issue (though vacuum bagging would be best).

Hey, Welcome!

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I was going to comment on the vacuum bagging as well. Especially if one has a SV.

I would recommend the process I used for my Kalua Pork.

Cook all the way to where you would apply sauce (assumes a process like Last Meal Ribs), then pull from the grill, vac bag, shock cold in ice water, then into fridge or freezer.

Then, reheat as raw or use the magic of sous vide to reheat ahead of putting a sear or glazing a sauce on. That's how I'd do it. Hey, PKB, not a bad idea. Go buy a costco pack.
    Maybe later, devil on my left shoulder.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      (I say after eating the end of the brisket I cooked three or more weeks ago for breakfast today).
      That may be why he thinks the devil is on his left shoulder EdF

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      "Not poisoning yourself is always the baseline" Potkettleblack .

Do as he says and not as he does. At least with 21+ day old brisket.

If it was bad, at least by eating it for breakfast you'd be throwing up in the daylight, though, PKB. Not so lonely that way.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I had a bit of stomach rumble by lunch, but nothing suggesting a major food poisoning episode.

Welcome to the pit! You've already gotten good advice, so all I have to add is:

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all paying USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

Well, why not?

Comment

Seeing as how I am a simple guy, I do one of two things:

First, you could cut the slabs in half, and vacuum seal and freeze the halves you aren't using. Make a half slab of ribs for the two of you.

Second, and far easier: Make 3 racks of ribs. Eat half of one, and cut the other two in half. Vacuum seal each half slab, and remove them from the freezer for use, thawing them as you see fit. Myself, I use the cold water trick, then I microwave them. I got no problems with microwaves.

Comment

I would only do it if you have a vacuum sealer. I’ve frozen a lot of fully cooked meats, including ribs, and reheated with little quality loss using the Foodsaver. In a zip lock bag, not so much. It will ice up and get freezer burn too quick if there is any air in the bag.
          Last edited by jfmorris; July 24, 2018, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I like to season, smoke, and fully cook the ribs and then vacuum pack and freeze in appropriate portions for later consumption. Easy to heat the vac packed portion in boiling water, or microwave with just a small vent hole cut in vac bag. That said, I just got the three rib pack at Costco, and want to take my Rec Tec Trailblazer on vacation with me. I want to cook with my son, at the RV park, so split them open, seasoned them with rub, and then re-vac-packed and froze. This will facilitate easy throw on smoker without fuss, and more time spent visiting with son. Just a couple of weeks away from vacation on coast and hopefully get away from this heat and fire smoke. Also, have wings from Costco - three flavors pre-seasoned; Asian, Cajun, and Bone Sukin Good; frozen to go along.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like a great plan!

Thank you to everyone or all the advice. I do have a vacuum sealer so I will give it a try.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here