Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon

Hello all.
    I was wondering if I could use a vacuum bag for the curing phase? Would being under a vacuum impact the cure?

Thanks!

Since the curing process pulls moisture out of the meat the moisture needs somewhere to go. I wouldn't think a vacuum seal is appropriate to use when curing bacon.

Comment

Please don't use a vacuum bag to cure. You need to correct amount of liquid in the cure as well as the other ingredients. Please follow the recipe as Meathead and Dr. Blonder have it laid out. Many recipes and techniques you find online are not up to snuff. Ours has been tested and tested again and we have found to be the most reliable method to get safe, repeatable results.

Comment

Thanks!
        I would not change the recipe. Just had a thought / question about the curing vessel.

Comment

No reason vacuum sealed bags wouldn't work just fine. Same as sucking the air out of a Ziplock freezer bag. Salts will still pull moisture out which is mixed with the cure & spices and redistributed when the bag is turned dailey. On the other hand, why would you want to vacuum seal? You'll risk sucking moisture into the vacuum machine and possibly screw up your seal, unless you have a chamber sealer. Also suspect vacuum bags cost at least as much as two gallon zip locks.

Comment

I use a chamber vacuum sealer to seal mine. Bags are cheap, no sucking juice into the sealer, and no leaks while curing in the refrigerator. I'm not dead, yet anyway. But don't take it as an endorsement, just my experience.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here