Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon in a Stall?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon in a Stall?!?!

I put almost 11 pounds of bacon on to smoke around 9AM, and apparently it hit a stall around 148, as I've been waiting an hour and a half for it to reach 150. I even opened up the kettle and double checked with my Thermapen, in case the Smoke was in a cold spot, but its pretty consistent everywhere I probed.

Never would have expected a stall on something 1.5" to 2" thick, but apparently it can happen.

FYI, a 10 to 11 pound slab of pork belly is about as much as a 22" kettle (Performer) can handle, and be in the indirect grilling area with the SNS in there. I barely had room for the air probe and meat probe at once side of the grate, and the meat was hanging up right to the water chamber of the SNS, and crammed against the curve of the kettle on the other side.

Country style ribs stall.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Never have cooked country style ribs. I knew they weren't really ribs, so just sorta always skipped over them when in a mood for ribs. Maybe I'll get them instead of pork chops some time...

Well, I had to go somewhere, so gave up around 149F and pulled it off. It was 150-152 in parts of each 5.5 pound portion of the belly. Lowest temp was 149. What's 1 degree among friends?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8269.JPG
Views:	640
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	528050

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks delicious man, I’m curious if the stall ended up giving you a better smokey flavor due to the longer cook? I had a piece hit 150 IT after just 1h 45m at 225 ambient, wasn’t on as long as I’d hoped. That chunk is in the freezer now so not sure of the taste yet.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point FishTalesNC - this time the bacon was on from 9:00AM until about 2:30PM, and it usually only takes 2-3 hours to hit 150F. It was a larger slab, and I actually let the pit temp run a little on the low side - just over 200F, so that it would smoke longer with the charcoal and hickory chunks.

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice, I love how this one looks. May try to lower my temp next time and see if I can achieve something similar. 👍🏻🥓

smoking six one pound slabs after work this evening. butcher cut it up before i picked it up, but i took it anyway, put 3 in a bag and did meatheads 3lb maple/brown sugar recipe.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Well that sucks the they cut it up like that without asking, but I am sure it will come out the same. You will just have more of those "end" slices to deal with.

My bacon is so wide across the grain of the slab, that even after cutting the 11# slab in half for curing, I may cut those 2 pieces lengthwise before slicing, otherwise the slices will be too long for most pans.

Watching it smoke now!

Comment

At 200 I can believe that you did see a stall. Warmer pit and you probably wouldn't have. I have had the same problem with salmon running at 200.

Comment

Agree that low temp probably responsible for the "stall". It’ll be awesome anyway! Should have got plenty smoke! Enjoy!

Comment

They definitely stall, especially around 200-225, I've also had the same happen to many of my pork bellies. But that just means more smokey flavor! Your bacon looks awesome, by the way. How did it taste?

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Bacon was great! I've fried up less than 1 pound - bulk of it is in vacuum sealed 1# bags in the freezer. I do think I got more smoke flavor from the prolonged smoke. I also cut the sugar in the Simple bacon recipe in half, and increased salt by about 50%, as we thought the last batch was too sweet and not salty enough. We like this batch much better.

• gijsveltman
            gijsveltman commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll try with added salt next time, following your experience. I like mine salty as well.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            If it matters I cured this belly in the fridge for 6 or 7 days, as it was up to 2" thick in spots, and the curing calculator told me 5.6 days was required. I had split it to fit in two 2.5 gallon zip locks, and flipped them once or twice a day. The extra day or so might have helped get the salt in there more than last time too.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here