Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need ideas for Costco pork belly strips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need ideas for Costco pork belly strips

Was gonna smoke porterhouse pork chops tomorrow, but pork belly isn't easy to find here. However, I was a little disappointed to see the nearly 5 lb pack had been cut down into 7-8 oz strips. Imagine the thickest bacon slice you've ever seen. I want to do something in the PBC with them tomorrow, but I'm not sure what. I think they are too thin to hang. I have an extra aluminum pan from when I made my chuckie burnt ends. Any thoughts are as always appreciated.

Pork belly burnt ends

Comment

I ran into the same thing at Costco a few days ago--chunks of belly maybe an inch thick. I caught the attention of one of the butchers and he brought out quite a few whole bellies. So, ask 'em before you assume they don't have whole bellies.

Thanks to me asking, I now have two 3-pound slabs of Meathead's bacon, one 2-pound slab of Ruhlman's pancetta and a half pound of salt pork curing in the fridge. Ain't never done otherwise with pork belly. Maybe I'm missing out.

Comment

Yep, pork belly burnt ends. That is what I use them for when someone buys those instead of the whole belly. You don't get the really nice even squares, but it works.

Comment

I will advise you to NOT cook those puppies on a gas grill with direct heat. Ask me how I know? Only time I've ever had to use a fire extinguisher - and this was with Grillgrates on the gasser, haha.

My Costco had the full pork bellies alongside that cut up stuff you got. I've got an 11 pound slab curing for bacon right now, and will smoke it Friday.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Freaking hilarious! I need to scope out a pork belly on my next vacation.

• Rod
            Rod commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris What kind of container do you use to cure such a big slab? You must have an additional fridge too I would imagine.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Rod I split the slab in 2, and cured it in two 2 gallon zip lock bags.

I actually have 2 full size fridges out in the garage so can usually find a spot for stuff like this. Both were ones someone was getting rid of that I gladly took.

My Costco had the full slabs right next to the strips as well. Half of it is curing for bacon, the other half is being smoked today for pork belly tacos.

I once had a smoked, seared cube of pork belly as an appetizer at a high end restaurant. It melted in my mouth and was simply amazing!

Comment

• VideoWolf88
            VideoWolf88 commented
            Editing a comment
            The misses is very curious about the taco idea. What's your recipe look like?

• phrogpilot73
            phrogpilot73 commented
            Editing a comment
            Pork belly, rubbed and smoked @230 until nice mahogany color. Wrap, add liquid (I used bitter orange juice this time), and continue @230 until 195 internal temp. Rest, pull. Soft corn tortillas (charred on the grill), crema, pico de gallo, light application of fresh lemon juice, cotija cheese and thin sliced jalapenos.

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            VideoWolf88 If you are looking for the kimchi recipe, google on the interwebs Maangchi cubed radish recipe. I have made this and a few other kimchi recipes from her and they are amazing! Topped on a pork belly taco or bulgolgi beef is to die for! The flavor combination you get from everything is amazing.

I would consider braising it and doing a white been cassoulet, cuban style. If you have the time.
          Last edited by grantgallagher; July 4, 2018, 07:14 AM.

Comment

SRF sent me a 14lb Kurbota pork belly when I was supposed to get a 5 to 6lb belly. So I've been researching pork belly recipes. Chef Tom at The Sauce has several great recipes that are well designed and on video. Do a Duck Duck Go (not Google) search and you will get plenty ideas to work from. Too bad they sliced it like they did that certainly pushes you into burnt ends. Not that there is anything wrong with that!

Comment

Dang! This just showed up in my inbox! Just what you ordered!

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
                Sweaty Paul commented
                Editing a comment
                Recipe does look good.

• Ahumadora
                Ahumadora commented
                Editing a comment
                Going to have to try this!!!!

• ColonialDawg
                ColonialDawg commented
                Editing a comment
                I watched this video a couple days ago and was mesmerized.

Chicharrones, of course! Great in sandwiches! https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...es-recipe.html

Comment

• JakeT
                JakeT commented
                Editing a comment
                My hopes were high until I got to the part that said the recipe is for skin on pork belly! I wonder how it would turn out without the skin? No crunchy rind I guess?

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, the skin matters.

Ended up making pork belly BLT's. Coated the strips in Dijon mustard, brown sugar, salt, and pepper and put them on the PBC for just over 2 1/2 hours.
              Attached Files

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                ColonialDawg commented
                Editing a comment
                Pork belly BLT’s are delicious - good thinking. Simple. Yet VERY effective. I’m going to have to file this idea away when my Cherokee Purple and Brandywine Red tomatoes ripen.

• gabulldog
                gabulldog commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup, I gotta try that!

My local Costco had some real nice meaty one's cut into ~ 1 1/2 thick slices. I cured em (Maple cure) smoked em and cut each one into 1/3 slices after a night in the fridge to firm them up. Glad I have a very sharp Japanese knife.
              Ahh, thick cut homemade bacon...

Comment

Smoked pork belly burnt ends Banh Mi sandwiches https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-bánh-mì

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh yeah!

• JimLinebarger
                  JimLinebarger commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Man, that looks good!

• Sweaty Paul
                  Sweaty Paul commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Drooling now.

I was just at Costco this morning and they had the same cut pork belly. But they also had whole pieces. Morganville NJ

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Get the whole piece, then decide what to do with it.

Plait it or make belly burnt ends if big enough.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here