Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A trick to get more back ribs on your smoker... (Can't wait to try this one myself...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A trick to get more back ribs on your smoker... (Can't wait to try this one myself...)

If you're like me, your smoker is on the smaller side in the size department. This little trick in the first bit of this video may be the solution, when it comes to back ribs at least...

I think I might skip on the stuffing aspect but this crown rib idea is awesome!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Xandera_7; July 3, 2018, 05:45 AM. Reason: Added image

There are a few around here who have tried it. You’ll be gettin feedback soon. It’s cool to see you having so much fun!

Comment

• Xandera_7
      Xandera_7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!
      I am having a blast.
      I have always loved cooking so this is like a whole new culinary world opened up to me.
      I am giddie like a school girl
      Hehehehehe 😁😁😁

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup fold them into a c-shape and stick a skewer across the c to hold in place

I have done this many times, but I didn't know the trick of cutting the notches in the ends. I typically use skewers and don't tie.

Comment

• Xandera_7
      Xandera_7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! I didn't really see the point in tying them either

Click image for larger version

Name:	7E15E943-4C7A-43FD-899B-9CBC1F06E8DC.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	525988Mudkat did this at our spring meatup.

Comment

• Xandera_7
      Xandera_7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! Glad to see it works!

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      The cooker is a 14.5 WSM. Xandera_7 Fun times indeed!

• T-bone
      T-bone commented
      Editing a comment
      I can attest that these were dang tasty. Almost as good as the company.

Oh yeah, I do this on the KJ Jr. Otherwise, there is no way I could get a rack of ribs in there!

Comment

That's a great idea. I'm going to try this the next time I do ribs.

Comment

I do this and get 7 racks on my Weber 26”. Only use wooden skewers but I flip and rotate every so often during the cook.

Comment

• Tony law
          Tony law commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice to know. I plan on doing 6 racks on my 26" this weekend using the snake.

Yea not a new technique, have done it on my Weber 18" Smokey Mountain. They also have some fancy racks you can buy that help facilitate doing multiple racks in a tight space. I have large enough cookers that I don't generally need to do this but it's good to know a few tricks in case the need arises !!!

Comment

Waiting to see someone do a full packer brisket like this...

Oh wait... it just dawned on me... not as a circle, but as a 6 or a 9. You'd want the point hanging out, but you'd want that thin end of the flat doubled against some thicker flat to keep it from drying out from cooking too fast...

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not sure that a fat cap does anything but insulate one side. Since folks swear by cap up and cap down with roughly equivalent furor, and we know it's not rendered down into the brisket, not sure that vertical fat cap is a problem. Certainly not worse than fat side down.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I think 95% of the fat cap's purpose is to have a strip of delicious fat on the slices and to help with the perception of juiciness and mouthfeel on an otherwise dry flat.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, but for unctuousness, up, down or sideways shouldn’t matter, since final slice will still be fat side up.

PKB that might work on pbc. Not sure if you intended it as a joke but the flat can take a beating in the PBC. I'm going to give it a try on the next cook.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            It started as a joke, but then it stuck in my brain a bit as maybe a workable solution.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here