Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spare ribs to go...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spare ribs to go...

First time smoking ribs to chill and deliver. Smoked with two small briskets running 225-230.

1. I was able to get good probe placement at the start so I slept until 180 internal.

2. At 180 (5 hrs in) I checked tenderness with a toothpick and still had a ways to go but getting there. I sauced with COLD BBQ Sauce and that brought internal back down to 167.

3. I brought them up to 190 internal and the toothpick confirmed they were ready. 7 hours total cook time. Membrane removed after they were chilled and sliced. Soooooooooo much easier that way.

8. Let them cool at room temp a bit with foil tented over, then to the fridge for the good chill.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180624_024943.jpg Views:	1 Size:	121.9 KB ID:	521714Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180624_161305.jpg Views:	1 Size:	224.5 KB ID:	521715Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180624_162820.jpg Views:	1 Size:	128.9 KB ID:	521716

Did my first similar one Friday.
    I thought they were a little dry but everyone praised me. So I guess they were ok.
    Sorry only pic I took. Click image for larger version

Name:	66F5F37D-E947-42B9-BEC0-4A6C01305923.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	521732 How did yours turn out Jerod? They look pretty damn good.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Plenty done with a couple small bones loosening up and peeling off, which is good. That tells me the thicker stuff is good to go, and it all felt good with the toothpick. I paid over $2 less for two WHOLE SPARE RACKS that weighed almost twice as much as the cut out SLC's.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice Jerod. I’m gonna try the whole spare ribs soon. I had the opportunity this weekend but haven’t cooked that exact cut yet.
      It’s always been BBR or SLT style before.
      There’s definitely some extra good meat on the ends and top of those. Plus the rib tips.
      Damn I’m hungry now.

Are there really ever enough ribs????

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Hell. I put out the three racks and by the time I got the pulled pork out the ribs were gone.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard it's that little man in the fridge who eats it all. The one who turns on and off the light. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks HouseHomey, finally a good explanation I can use. And it's plausible too ;-)

Vanishing wibs it happens In Wyoming too

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, that’s cool. Wibs in Wyoming!

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      You too!

Looking good Jerod!

Comment

Jerod’s game show............I’ll take door #2!

Comment

Seriously working that pellet pooper! It's like a Broussard infomercial. You need a sponsor.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Just ordered a Honda self-propelled. We'll see how they feel about "mowin' & smokin'"

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice!

I always have a hard time with probes in ribs. Temp fluctuates wildly and also freaks me out when they start to stall, so I stopped using a meat probe and just go by the bend test.

Those look darned tasty. Making me hungry.

Comment

Looks delicious Jerod!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here