Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boneless Pork Butt Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boneless Pork Butt Question

My noobie-ness is shining thru tonight...

The handful of pork butts I’ve smoked all came from Sams Club and were bone in. I cut them in half to reduce cook time and gain bark. The typically 4lb chunks were smoked at ~285F for 6-7 hours until probe tender, with the bone in chunk taking that extra hour. Saturday my wife is having a party at our place for her nurse unit at UNC Hospital, and I need to provide pulled pork for ~25 people. My plan was to do what I had done before x3. But I’ve already derailed that plan! I bought butts at Costco this time and they’re boneless, and the one side is of course not intact. Do you all suggest I tie the whole butt together (which I fear will lengthen the smoking time, if so any estimates how much)? I might be able cut it in half in such a way I could tie that one deboned half together, but that looks dicey, think it’d hold? Or should I just plop those 3 meat monsters on as-is and run it 285-300 and wrap if needed? I was shooting to have them done by 2 or 3pm and hold until 5pm, starting the night before isn’t an option.

Thanks for any guidance...

Why not cut them in half or "butterfly" them so to speak? You will get more surface area for bark.

A few guys here debone theirs and plenty cut them in half also.

Comment

I debone mine and tuck some rub in the cavity the bone left, have not seen the need to tie. Throw them in the smoker for about 3 hours at 225-250. Then into a foil pan and cover loosely with foil and crank up the heat to 275-300. Done in 6 hours total.

Comment

Without seeing this meat, I would go with the hotter and faster approach, wrapping as needed. Guaranteed, no one will know the difference. If you can put the meat on around 6 - 7 a.m., you should be fine.

Comment

Thanks all, I guess I was mostly concerned about keeping the meat the same thickness for an even cook and wondered if tying it would be necessary to help that. Sounds like its probably not, I'll put each one on the grate folded up in the "one big piece" and get them rolling at 6am. Should be fine, nurses love free BBQ. 👍🏻

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here