Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Belly is up next... Open to suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Belly is up next... Open to suggestions.

Hiya folks!
    I am thinking of picking up a few pork bellies this week and giving them a go on the ol' smoker.
    I was looking at Meathead's bacon recipes and I think I will definitely do bacon with one.
    What should I do with the other(s)?
    Suggestions and recipes are very much welcome!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Xandera_7; June 20, 2018, 06:57 AM.

More bacon. And then pick up some more and make more bacon.

Comment

• Xandera_7
      Xandera_7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Never a bad idea, thanks. Lol

Burnt ends

Comment

• Xandera_7
      Xandera_7 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking this too.
      Any recipes you really like?

• wrgilb
      wrgilb commented
      Editing a comment
      This is Malcom Reed's recipe. https://youtu.be/nL82hlORY-k
      Last edited by wrgilb; June 20, 2018, 07:39 AM.

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe meathead has one on the free site under the pork section Xandera_7

This rich and flavor packed tested recipe for our smoked pork belly version of the classic Vietnamese banh mì sandwich is sure to make your knees buckle. The recipe hits all the right notes for a perfect banh mì, including succulent BBQ pork belly burnt ends, spicy jalapeños, savory mayo, and tangy pickled veggies.

also one for smoked sv style

Comment

Porchetta

Comment

• JakeT
        JakeT commented
        Editing a comment
        I've got a Berkshire skin on belly on order currently to make your recipe. Should get to the butcher today or tomorrow. Only difference is I'm going to do it with a rotisserie spit on my weber kettle. Needless to say I'm very excited

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I was going to put mine on my gasser rotisserie but I wanted a much more intense smokey flavor so I just did it on the kettle. If I had that kettle rotisserie I would definitely do as you are doing JakeT, makes for a more even cracklin' result.

• JakeT
        JakeT commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't have the kettle rotisserie but I'm going to buy a $35 cheap-o rotisserie from Lowe's and figure out a way to mount it. I never do rotisserie so it didn't make sense to spend the 150 for the weber kettle rotisserie. I'd rather add that money to my KBQ fund

Always a crowd pleaser in my house, Harry Soo's Pork Belly Candy

Comment

• Xandera_7
        Xandera_7 commented
        Editing a comment
        These look amazing!

Made some pork belly candy on Sunday...I think I smoked it too much and then cooked out too much fat in the tenderizing braise. Oh, it's still GUUD!
      Made bacon with a week long dry cure then gently (temperature wise) smoked to about 120F for a few hours. 7 pounds pork belly used a teaspoon of Prague No. 1 (nitrite), 1/2 cup each of salt and brown sugar, and a bag of crystalized honey glaze from a store-bought ham. You wash it before smoking. I did not soak and it's not too salty. Fries up into deliciousness.

Comment

Originally posted by Xandera_7 View Post
        Hiya folks!
        I am thinking of picking up a few pork bellies this week and giving them a go on the ol' smoker.
        I was looking at Meathead's bacon recipes and I think I will definitely do bacon with one.
        What should I do with the other(s)?
        Suggestions and recipes are very much welcome!

Thanks!
        This is Malcom Reed's recipe. https://youtu.be/nL82hlORY-k

Comment

Yep Malcom Reed has a great recipe for those Pork Belly Burnt ends.

Comment

Stegt flæsk med persillesovs

BBQ pork belly with parsley sauce and baby spuds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stegt flæsk4.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	519404

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Now being of Danish decent that recipe really strikes home with me !!!

• johnec00
              johnec00 commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, I'm of Scottish decent, but I really love the National Dish of Denmark! Give it a try but grill/lightly smoke the belly.

I did one with an Aaron Franklin style rub recently, like what he does for ribs, and it came out amazing.

Comment

Siew Yuk:

Hi Everyone,  have you ever been to a restaurant, eaten a meal or a particular dish and then tried to replicate it at home? Me too and often! Although it

If you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you obviously know of my love for the Chinese cuisine. And if you've indeed been f...

Whilst all crispy roast pork bellies are created crispy and crunchy, I do prefer the Chinese-style roast pork belly method. It has not only a crunch but a brittle texture as well that is easy to the bite. Siu yuk, as it is more fondly known, has been a Southern China delicacy for ages. Unlike the western style that scores the skin, the Chinese crispy roast pork belly requires you to labourously prick the skin until the skin is completely punctured with holes.

The last link is probably the winner!

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                I did use a different recipe and it was awesome, but I didn't capture the recipe, and the guy went off line. :-(

I taught a BBQ class today and made burnt ends. Rubbed in Meatheads Memphis dust, 250f for 3 hours then I used a mix of peach jam, honey beer and apple juice to braise it, (why?) Cause that's what I had on hand at the time. Worked fine.

I recommend cutting the belly to fit in an aluminum tray , then cut into cubes but only 90% of the way through so it stays in tacked and easier to manage.

Comment

Make lots and lots of bacon! I also like to make Crispy pork belly or pork belly Burnt ends. But anyway you make pork belly you can’t go wrong!

Comment

• Xandera_7
                  Xandera_7 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I definitely want to try doing bacon and burnt ends. Any tips?

Ruhlman's pancetta: http://ruhlman.com/2009/06/home-cured-pancetta/

FWIW, I keep it in the fridge at all times, even during drying.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here