Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Money Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money Meat

Does anyone have a video on how to cut out the Money Meat on a Pork Butt after its cooked.

Check this out... Competition BBQ Pulled Pork Recipe

Comment

• Oski3686
      Oski3686 commented
      Editing a comment
      This is great thanks

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Good info, but that dude was really creeping me out with the way he kept rubbing his hands all over that meat!

• Parcival
      Parcival commented
      Editing a comment
      Was just searching around this morning (2nd day on the forum). Great video. Like BBQRapper said, that dude does seem to have an odd relationship with that huge hunk of pork!!

I was surprised by how much fat he cut off. Is that normal to cut away that much fat? I always thought the fat is what keeps it moist.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Surface fat does not keep the meat moist. Internal fat, (marbling), gives the feeling of moistness although you could argue that rendered fats are not wet, but rather greasy. At any rate, I do love good marbling.

This probably isn’t how most folks do a butt at home as far as the deep cut separations he is doing.

That being said there are plenty of folks that completely cut the fat cap off to maximize surface area for bark and some guys that just cut their PBs in half too.

Yes fat is flavor but the hard thick fat is not going to render down or completely disappear and isn’t something you are probably going to want to serve big chunks off... so other than acting as a natural heat barrier there is no major need to keep it on.

The muscles themselves have enough fat interwoven into them to give it plenty of flavor and keep it tender,!juicy, and moist. As he said he was cutting off excess.
    Last edited by Nate; June 14, 2018, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• Oski3686
      Oski3686 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you this is very helpful

• droopie69
      droopie69 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm no expert by ANY measure, but so far in my butt career (not many) I have found that you almost can't hurt it. Don't trim enough, not a problem. Temps drop to 175 while you nap, no problem. Temps flare to 300 for an hour or two...again while you're napping no problem. It's a great piece of meat to hone your skills managing your smoker because the end product is always good.

It seems excessive, but I agree with the underlying principle: if you aren't going to eat it, why cook it?

Comment

Here’s how I present pork for a KCBS contest. Money muscle is the diagonal part in the middle. This box scored 4th last weekend!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	3E5A70F2-4C7A-4066-8F07-245819F6DE46.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	516143

Comment

• Oski3686
        Oski3686 commented
        Editing a comment
        This looks amazing, did you trim the fat cap off? What were your cook times on this?

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I bet that was some great stuff!

• PaynTrain
        PaynTrain commented
        Editing a comment
        CandySueQ needs to host some BBQ seminars!!!

How long and what temps are you smoking these butts? Are you wrapping them during the smoke?
      Last edited by Oski3686; June 14, 2018, 10:57 AM.

Comment

I started off with a 17# twin pack with one big butt and the other smaller. I trimmed it at the contest (which I don't usually do). I cut the fat cap totally off, because if the "bacon" is good, I'm turning it in. This is what's in the upper triangle in the box. I trim the money muscle on both butts to be about the same size (diameter). Both butt money muscles are presented on the diagonal in the box. Chunks in the bottom triangle from various spots on the butt. I cut the bone totally out and don't bother with a string wrap. I bet I cut 6 pounds off of that 17 pound package.

I cook hot and fast. Butts went on the Yoder Cimarron at 5 am. Controller temp was 350, but the actual cooking temp where the meat is is about 300. I wrap at around 9 am. Put each butt in a half pan and foil the top. I strained the chunks out of a bottle of Stubbs Pork Marinade and used about half a bottle for both butts. Monitored the tenderness closely when the butts hit 180. I think they came off at around 11.

Good pork actually! We've been eating it all week.

Comment

Oski,

You can ask 10 different folks how to do butts and you will get 10 different answers....

Some folks go hot and fast and others low and slow, some trim some don’t, some inject and others don’t, some wrap some don’t, so on and so on....

What I can tell you is that traditionally butts are more forgiving or tolerant of cooking variations. So if you try low and slow but the fire gets warmer than anticipated then it probably won’t be a big deal. I would argue that most folks couldn’t tell the difference between a low and slow cooked butt vs hot and fast...

Best recommendation I can make is pick a method you want to try and go for it. As long as you get it probe tender and use a rub you like it is probay going to be pretty dang good! Then you can tweak from there or try different things. Have some fun and don’t obsess too much.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep! What Nate said.

So i smoked a butt, cut all the fat off and injected it. Turned out great very tasty, but i couldn't slice the money meat, it just fell apart. I smoked it for 10hrs at 250 unwrapped the first 5hrs, wrapped the last. Any critiques?

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            A little overcooked, most definitely. The money muscle will need to be removed before the rest of the butt is ready to pull. The trimming directions in the video will make that pretty easy.

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Positioning on the cooker is important! I always put the money muscle away from the fire pot, even when wrapped. This way the heat gets to the parts that need it! Always put Chef Alarm needle probe right in the middle of the money muscle (when I wrap). I start checking for feel when temp hits 190.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here