Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking advice on pork belly burnt ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking advice on pork belly burnt ends

I picked up a nice 3-4 lb slab of pork belly from Costco and was thinking of making some pork belly burnt ends out of it for Fathers Day. Only problem is that I know I won't have enough time to cook it all on Sunday before I have to head to the in-laws' house. Anyone have any advice for cooking it in two stages on two different days?

Most recipes call for cubing the pork belly before smoking it but since I'm planning on doing it over two days, I'm thinking about keeping the slab whole and smoking it on Friday or Saturday (thinking of taking it to around 160 or 180?) and then chilling it before cubing and finish cooking it on Sunday for 60-90 minutes in a foil pan. Any tips/tricks or advice you can share?

Thanks

I assume you don't want to render out all the fat...there wouldn't be much left. I had good luck, just making cured bacon, searing it while nearly frozen and got a crust on it, then rubbed on some "crystalyzed honey" from a store ham, then smoked it. However, for bacon, I pulled it off the smoker at 120. The crystalized honey was partially caramelized in and on the crust.

Comment

See the recipe listed below;

Pork Belly Burnt Ends Recipe - Pork belly smoked, then cooked with butter and brown sugar until tender. Finished with a Sweet Glaze.

You could do the first part (smoking) on day one and the second (baking/glazing) part the next day.

Comment

• W.A.
        W.A. commented
        Editing a comment
        Follow Malcom for sure. I agree with rodkeary

rodkeary nailed it.

Comment

I like to do something similar with the exposed "dry" half of the brisket flat. Oh man...wanna run to Costco and get more pork belly to make those burnt ends Meat Candy!

Comment

What I find is when making a bunch of pork belly (20lbs+) it is a pain to flip each individually. So give a lazy man a hard job and i found an easy way to do it. Skin the pork belly and trim a lot of the excess fat off leaving about 1/4" turn it over then start cubing it, but only cut 90% of the way through so the belly still stays intact. The rub n smoke can get to all cubes but it is way easier to handle. I would just cook em as normal and leave then in the foil to cook down quickly then reheat the next day splashing some apple juice on em for extra moisture.
          Last edited by Ahumadora; June 11, 2018, 04:48 PM.

Comment

When I am making the burnt ends for a later date, I do everything except braise them, until the day of. Then all you have to do is slide them into an oven for an hour or so, plus 10 mins with the foil off.

You can smoke it whole, if you would like. But I would cube it up and then smoke it. You will get much more bark that way, and that is what you HAVE to have on burnt ends.. (Hence the name, )

After smoking, I put the smoked cubes into a vac sealed bag and I shock them, then they go in the fridge.

When you go to braise them, pour them into your pan, add your ingredients and braise away! Make sure to uncover the burnt ends, place them on an elevated rack and let them bake, uncovered, for just a bit to firm them up, but keep an eye on it.

Comment

Update:

pork belly cubes in the PBC. Took advantage of the fire to also put a chuckie on.

Intend to smoke the pork belly for 3 or so hours and then chill them before finishing them with sauce/glaze on Sunday.

The chuckie will take a 3 hour smoke and then go in sous vide for around 24 hours and then finish over grill or smoker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1237E2AF-4212-4A0A-A3C7-4C4E957CA03F.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	516634
              Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here