Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First rib cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First rib cook

I’m not really sure why but I’ve been a bit intimidated to try to cook my own ribs. Probably because I’ve had some really good ones in the past and I didn’t think mine could compare.

Decided to go ahead and cook a rack as I was given my Father’s Day gift early which was a new FireBoard. Having not been around for Mother’s Day because of work, I decided to use it to cook her favorite meal. After all, I don’t need a holiday to express my love and appreciation for all she does.

Dry brined with kosher salt over night, the fire was started around noon. Admittedly, I had trouble controlling the temperature of the Weber kettle and SNS, for the first hour. The temps just kept rising but I eventually was able to get it to settle in the desired 250 range.

A few hours later, I’m getting called a taste bud tease after I sent out an "about to take this off the grill" photo to a couple of friends. Needless to say, I’m not intimidated any longer and feel as if I learned a good bit about the venting/temperature relationship.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C6C24DE8-D9C2-4055-92BD-71A138F37C50.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	758.7 KB ID:	514679

Attached Files

Nice cook.

Comment

Mark those spots and note the amount of coals and method you used. Go from there.

nice work!!

Comment

Fantastic work! Ribs shouldn't intimidate anyone. To me they are the easiest. Chickens are the hardest for me. in order of easiest to hardest: Ribs, butt, brisket, sausage, loin, roasts, chickens. I expect some raised eyebrows that chickens and sausage rates too high and brisket and ribs so low. Briskets would be much lower if they were not as labor intensive as they are.

Comment

Que, que, que, the only way to learn is to do it and keep on doing it! Looking good.
          Last edited by pizza67; June 14, 2018, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Looks awesome! One tip that I think Huskee gave me re: controlling temps better with my SNS was to pull it away from the kettle wall a bit, just an inch or so. If its pressed up against the side of the kettle you're more apt to lose heat faster and experience temp swings. Good luck, keep 'em coming!

Comment

• Pow7der
              Pow7der commented
              Editing a comment
              Great tip! As it turns out, the SNS was in a similar position but not because of the reasons you mentioned. I remember setting it that way because the charcoal grate lined up with the SNS grate and I didn’t want the grate to block ash from being able to drop out. Your’s and Huskee ‘s reasoning sounds much more sound a little less crazy then "my lines didn’t line up"

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              That is a good tip, never gave that much thought.

Good lookin' ribs.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Thank you everyone! Further reflection, My temp was actually running high at the beginning although only starting with 12 briquettes. I ran into trouble by not closing the vents enough and those 12 caught the unlit charcoal on fire too quickly I believe.

Being afraid of snuffing the fire out, I kept making small adjustments every 10 minutes or so to the vent until temp both dropped and then later stabilized. I definitely chased it for awhile but it was great to be able to see the temps stay put once I figured it out.

Amazing what you learn when you pay attention even if it is literally a trial by fire.

Comment

Wibs, Wibs & more Wibs! Yours look delicious. It’s great that you will never fear them again! My wife will not ever consider ordering wibs at any restaurant. Just the other day she said: "yours are so much better than anything they do". Yours are to, fantastic!

Comment

Great job with the ribs. One thing that I suggest you might want to consider is getting a fan and a fan cable for your Fireboard. The Fireboard is a very capable thermo device but what really sets it apart is it's ability to control and stabilize your fire through the use of fan control. Give that some thought, it will help elevate your cooks to the next level !!!

Comment

• FireMan
                      FireMan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, that is level 4, or is that 3, hmmmmm, I dunno.

I think you have fully entered the world of ribs.

Comment

This thread makes me hungry. Think I will go eat some ribs!

Glad you got it figured out, ribs are not hard, good ribs are a little work, but my favorite thing to cook if truth be told. I could probably live on a diet of ribs, with some buffalo wings thrown in from time to time...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here