Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SRF st louis ribs on the smoke vault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SRF st louis ribs on the smoke vault

SRF ribs liberally dusted with some stone ground mustard and memphis dust. Trying out the smoke vault with side vents closed as far as they do ala texastweeter to see if this produces the smoke ring (see another thread). No sauce planned for this one, just the dry rub. Dry brined them for a few hours, not as long as i would have liked but we just got a new fridge/freezer yesterday and moved the old one to the mudroom so i didnt have space/time to get them in last night with all the moving around. On the upside, i now have a dedicated meat fridge/freezer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2032.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	514137Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2036.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	514138

Can't wait to hear how they turn out. I've found that the vents have little effect on temperature in my smoke vault 24.

Comment

• snowswamp
      snowswamp commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto. I’ve had my vents wide open and I’ve even bent the tabs out on the bottom vents to be able to close them fully. No difference. I also can only get the max temp up to 330 F on high. That may be from the conversion to NG instead of propane.

Your gonna love those ribs. Did a couple racks of them from SRF a few weeks ago. Best ribs I’ve ever made.

Comment

Top two are top and lowe grate temps in the smoke vault. What is way more interesting is the bottom two. Left and right breast of a whole chicken i have dropping juice on the ribs. Massive difference
      Attached Files

Comment

• theroc
        theroc commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a similar temp spread that I see between racks on my SV.

Nice. I have two racks of baby back ribs on with a piece of brisket flat. Getting ready to start some tri-tip now. Enjoy

Name:	IMG_3601.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	514390

Comment

Name:	FB4E44B0-6689-4DD1-90C6-9EFAE18BE8D5.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	514441Click image for larger version

Name:	4F24BD9B-BDD8-4921-AF4B-F186C9ADF89C.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	514443Click image for larger version

Name:	8307E02D-3D91-4A94-8DD0-49AAF707CCA7.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	514442 So nom. Still no smoke ring 😜m

Comment

what temp? are you putting the meat in cold? one tip, grind your rosemary up more for your MMD.

Comment

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            The chicken didnt get mmd. It got jar rosemary sprinkled on it with some ofher stuff

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            Ribs were done at ~235 and then close to 350 when i added the chicken for the final 2 hours

also are you adding the wood to the fire as soon as you light it and waiting for smoke to add yer meat? are you replaing the wood chips as they ash?

Comment

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            texastweeter add chunks not chips as soon as i turn it on anx wait for it to get up to temp and burn off the initial cloud smoke

How did everything taste, did it have a nice smoky flavor? Sometimes you won’t get a deep smoke ring but the flavor is still there.

Comment

How did they eat?

Comment

Just to clear this up again, everything that comes off the vault tastes amazing. It has that smoke that you want. Just never a ring. Like i said, its a curiosity, not a complaint.

ribs were so nom. I took the chicken a little over by mistake cause my son was being a hyper curious pain in the butt. Still good though
              Last edited by grantgallagher; June 10, 2018, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here