Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade bacon goodness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade bacon goodness

I’ve been on a bacon kick over the last few months. I’ve been curing and smoking my own and find it so much better than store bought!! 10x actually!! Here’s a few pics
    Click image for larger version

Name:	B4F9ED3A-5A0C-4FF0-92F2-DDE071E62D47.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	511185
    Cured

Name:	9F5809C9-9F7E-47E2-9A2B-98CA6E448137.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	511192
    Smoked

Name:	BE0BF696-4549-475F-82FB-3C6A39ACD95D.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	511187

Name:	5871DA5C-1FDB-4F25-BB60-5D07267B0FE3.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	511189
    Sliced

Name:	1C280B4E-3E43-4367-95F5-88702CFFA8AB.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	511193
    And ready for the grill!
    Attached Files

Beautimous!

Comment

Great job of makin' bacon.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

yum, yum, yum, annnnnnnnnnnd yum.

Comment

Man that looks amazing! I SO want to try this in 2018, but every time I read the article on curing I get intimidated and find 3 other things I want to try. 😂

Comment

• scottranda
              scottranda commented
              Editing a comment
              Definitely not hard!!! You can do it!!!!!!

• kamadoRob
              kamadoRob commented
              Editing a comment
              I know how you feel FishTalesNC, I was the same way. I read about how easy it is and then read how dangerous it is. I finally jumped in last year and tried it using Meathead's recipe on this site and couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. I batch nearly every weekend for months! It really is easy and if you follow the instrucitons here it is completely safe and fun.

• FishTalesNC
              FishTalesNC commented
              Editing a comment
              I ordered the pink salt off amazon last night. No going back now... 😬

As it was said on a recent post "making bacon is the gateway meat" no cure for this addiction!

Comment

• nsbbqguy
              nsbbqguy commented
              Editing a comment
              Very true!

Looking awesome!!! Keep up that bacon makin’!!

Comment

So, you ready to join my class action against Hormel for false advertising?

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
                Oakgrovebacon commented
                Editing a comment
                I would, I have not bought bacon since I started curing mine several years ago.

I just drooled on my phone...
              a testament to how amazing this looks!
              😂😂😂😂

Comment

• nsbbqguy
                nsbbqguy commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you!

Just put mine on to smoke after curing for 3.5 days.
              Attached Files

Comment

• nsbbqguy
                nsbbqguy commented
                Editing a comment
                Looking really good!! It’s going to be awesome

Cook after 1 hour and finished product! Had to cut off some edges and fry up to try. BLT's for dinner tonight!
              Attached Files

Comment

Looks really good! When I started making my own I was curing and smoking every week. I kinda went overboard and then learned that the fat does break down in the freezer if you don't use it quick enough.

It looks like you're hand slicing. Very consistent slices, nicely done!

Comment

• nsbbqguy
                  nsbbqguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I did hand slice it. My slicer will only do half slices so I have no choice ! Me thinks it’s time for a new slicer! I was getting good at hand slicing tho

• HorseDoctor
                  HorseDoctor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  kamadoRob Do you vacuum pack bacon for freezing? I freeze a lot at a time and have noticed no decline in quality over at least a year in the freezer. (Some packages occasionally get lost in the shuffle...)

• kamadoRob
                  kamadoRob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  HorseDoctor This was one of the things that made me get a vacuum sealer. Before I was just wrapping in plastic wrap and butcher paper. That didn't last more than a month or two. I haven't found a bad package since I started sealing but I make smaller batches now too. It's good to know the vacuum pack will last that long.

I do vacuum pack, I find it keeps really well in the freezer (not that it lasts very long!)

Comment

I ordered the Prague Powder #1 a month or so ago, I just need to jump in and do it!!

Comment

• nsbbqguy
                    nsbbqguy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Do it! Its easy and way better than store bought!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here