Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Al pastor IT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Al pastor IT?

Doing Al pastor on my PBC. I've seen recipes calling for an IT of 165-185. Any of you fine folks have any recommendations? I'm currently at 131 and am checking in multiple locations.

Assuming you're using pork (traditional), Kenji says he cooks to 180-190 in the center. Here's a link: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...or-recipe.html

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. Pork. Thanks!

Yep. 165 - 180. I want to do al pastor in the PBC. What's your method?

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll post pics and notes tomorrow provided it turns out as hoped!

Please do!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome!

Welcome mjsmilloy

Comment

Just ordered some skewers from the PBC folks to eventually do this.

Comment

Unfortunately it did not turn out so well. End result was mush. Even trying to fry the pieces of mush in an attempt to crisp them didn't help.

Followed this recipe that Spinaker posted in a similar thread last week. The only thing I did differently were my slices weren't quite as thin and the cooker was my PBC.

Cooker temp averaged 300 and outside temp was 106 for most of the cook. I sure as hell am not giving up. Just not sure what to do differently. Pull when IT hits 145? Cover some rebar holes to bring cooker temp down? I thought about pulling and shaving the outer parts as the cook progressed, but decided to treat it kinda of like a whole butt.

All ready to go.

After an hour.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180603_151440.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	510994

After 2hrs IT checked 116 pretty consistently all over.

Name:	IMG_20180603_161352.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	510989

IT at 152 after 4hrs.

Name:	IMG_20180603_181538.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	510990

Pulled after 6.5hrs with an IT of 170.

Name:	IMG_20180603_204600.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	510991

Attempting to slice and it turned to mush.

Name:	IMG_20180603_211234.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	510992

Fireboard chart.

Name:	Al pastor Fireboard.PNG
Views:	128
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	510993

Comment

Man, this is a tough one. I would try to slice the meat thinner. And see if that make a difference. I think I would take it to about 150 F, then shave and add to a pan for searing and browning. Make sure to use a high temp oil so it won't burn and you can really brown up that meat in the pan.

The PBC should be perfect for this. Direct heat, full heat coverage. Not sure what happened here. Like you said, don't give up. Give it another try. I will as well and see what I can come up with for a more refined technique.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here