Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to cook pork shoulder for pulled pork faster! Ahhhhhhh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to cook pork shoulder for pulled pork faster! Ahhhhhhh

So I put an 8 lb pork shoulder on my Camp Chef propane smoker this AM just b4 7AM, was a little hungover and woke up waaaaaaaay later than anticipated. Now I need some advice on how to get this bad boy done by about 5 or 6 if at all possible. Temp of smoker is currently at 256. Anyone have any ideas? What temp should I wrap it in foil and then can I crank the heat up maybe?

Cook it hot and fast then pray

Comment

• Pfunk1977
      Pfunk1977 commented
      Editing a comment
      thats what I was thinking! lol

Wrap when it stalls and shoot for 275 in your smoker. Next time cut that baby in half into 2 4 pounders.

Comment

Kind of what they said.

At least 275 Cooker temp.

Stall usually hits somewhere around 150-160 internal temp. Wrap (crutch) the butt at this time and put her back in.

Even if you don’t get to 203 internal temp you can usually still get some great results in the mid to upper 190s. May want to chop instead of pull though at that temp.

Comment

Cook at 275 and wrap at 150. This is a real forgiving piece of meat. You should get to 150 in about three hours and through the stall in four to five hours more. That should give you a couple of hours in the faux cambro. If you are pressed for time you could run the cook temp up to to 300 or 325 without hurting a thing. Of course, every piece of meat is different, and you could have a quirky one, but this should get you in the ballpark.
        Last edited by LA Pork Butt; May 27, 2018, 07:23 AM.

Comment

• Pfunk1977
          Pfunk1977 commented
          Editing a comment
          What do you mean by faux cambro? Is that like wrapping the butt in foil and sticking in cooler? Thats a new term for me.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          That's what he means.

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          Pfunk1977 Spell checks with auto correct sucks. I am correctin athe post to read through the stall instEad of to themstall.

I followed your advice and it turned out. Wrapped in foil around 150-155 degrees and was up to 196 by 5:00. Pulled and ate by 6:30, turned out pretty good...a tad bit dry and not as much smoke flavor as usual but still tasty and no complaints.

Comment

Glad it worked out well. One really fast way in a pinch is to cook it on the smoker at 250-275 for about 2 hours so it can absorb the smoke, then drop it in a foil pan and wrap it up tightly with some apple juice and put it in the oven at about 300 the rest of the way. It won't be quite as good, but still pretty solid and will cook pretty fast.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here