Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I bought a Berkshire pork belly from D'artagnan and what to my wondering eyes appeared...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a Berkshire pork belly from D'artagnan and what to my wondering eyes appeared...

but a freakin' spare rib rack attached! The belly was also (knowingly) skin on. My goal was to make cassoulet (Antonly Bourdain's recipe) (thanks to fzxdoc for the Rancho Gordo Cassoulet bean source). So, my butcher skills being limited to butchering the language occasionally, as well as mangling the carving of the Thanksgiving turkey in earlier days, I decided to butcher it anyway. I thought the rack of spares came out fairly well, but the skin had too much fat left on it.

Anyway, in the end I had plenty of belly and rind for the dish, plus a bunch of fat to be rendered into lard. Looks like homemade bacon is up next (8-ish pounds of belly left), along with the ribs to be eaten tomorrow. Not sure what to do with the excess skin. Ideas anyone?

I can't recommend D'artagnan enough. I hit a sale (15% off the 16#-ish belly, which cost $103), plus free OVERNIGHT shipping for an order over $150. I bought some other Berkshire ribs and some sausages.

Pics: Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0196.JPG Views:	1 Size:	81.3 KB ID:	505774Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0200.JPG Views:	1 Size:	89.0 KB ID:	505775Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0203.JPG Views:	1 Size:	90.2 KB ID:	505776Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0207.JPG Views:	1 Size:	83.8 KB ID:	505777Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0209.JPG Views:	1 Size:	90.3 KB ID:	505778
    Last edited by Willy; May 26, 2018, 06:31 PM.

Ummm....pics of the cassoulet?

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Two days away!

Thanks for the recommendation. I want to get a pork belly for pork belly burnt ends on my vacation.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Not cheap, but first class products, service, and shipping.

If you have some fat left on the skin make cracklings. Meathead has a recipe. If no fat then do cihcaronnes.

Comment

Wow, awesome. Not exactly "something for nothing" given the price of Berkshire pork, but what a lagnaippe--pork ribs thrown in the bargain.

Enjoy!

Kathryn

P.S. Have your seen the Classic Cassoulet recipe on the Rancho Gordo site? https://www.ranchogordo.com/blogs/re...ssic-cassoulet

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        So many versions of cassoulet! I chose Bourdain's because I haven't cooked from his book much and because I've it owned since before he was a "thing". I managed to eat at Les Halles in NYC once, but I think he hadn't started there by then (1997-ish).
        Last edited by Willy; May 28, 2018, 09:47 AM.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Busting out the NOLA French via the Spanish so early on a Sunday. I'll have you know this was the "Webster word of the day" on 10-13-2017. I think I need a snack now.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Let us know how it turns out, Willy . I bet it's going to be marvelous.

K.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here