Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

South Carolina Hash recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Carolina Hash recipe?

Ok, so I’m in Asheville, NC, for the long weekend, and had the "South Carolina hash" at Buxton Hall as part of lunch. Amazing. This article, quoting the Buxton Hall chef, describes it as a the BBQ version of crack.

Thought I’d ask about recipes and see if anyone has a current recommendation? Searching the main site I found only a reference under pulled pork on the main page:
    • Hash. In South Carolina, leftover pulled pork is often used in making "hash". The recipe varies from place to place, but it is typically a stew of pulled pork, pork liver, onion, and mustard sauce, served over white rice. Sounds plebeian, but I think it's ambrosia.
    And a 2017 topic on the fourm didn’t turn anything up except a few posters who aren’t fans.

A quick recipe search on Google seems to be pulled pork, liver, and some kind of sauce, but the rest of the recipes varied considerably.

Any mid-2018 thoughts? Thanks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5C81F525-BC89-4478-857D-43063913A66F.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.17 MB ID:	505769
    The hash is the upper left dish, eaten over the rice.

Comment

Most of what I have eaten in South Carolina seemed to be little more than pulled pork and yellow mustard based BBQ sauce. I am not a fan, but to each his own. Glad you like it.

Comment

My Hash recipe

--Leftover pulled pork (all I do is more or less the slow smoked Boston Butt that has been MMR'd and cooked to 203). The reason for leftovers is I make multiple butts!. This recipe is for "about 5 lbs" of meat, well pulled!
        --i cup distilled white vinegar
        --1 cup yellow mustard
        --i lb russet potatoes peeled and diced. You can do two pounds if you want.
        --salt pepper and re chili to taste but start with 1T each except for pepper...go ahead and start with 2 T pepper.
        --add some water if you need to make sure meat is covered and when it begins to cook down.
        --bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for several hours adding water and vinegar as needed. After an hour add a stick of butter and 1 T garlic powder.
        --cook till the consistency is about like that picture and the meat is super tender.

sorry for the approximations. I never wrote it down before.

Comment

Originally posted by BrentC View Post
          Ok, so I’m in Asheville, NC, for the long weekend, and had the "South Carolina hash" at Buxton Hall as part of lunch. Amazing. This article, quoting the Buxton Hall chef, describes it as a the BBQ version of crack.

Thought I’d ask about recipes and see if anyone has a current recommendation? Searching the main site I found only a reference under pulled pork on the main page:
          • Hash. In South Carolina, leftover pulled pork is often used in making "hash". The recipe varies from place to place, but it is typically a stew of pulled pork, pork liver, onion, and mustard sauce, served over white rice. Sounds plebeian, but I think it's ambrosia.
          And a 2017 topic on the fourm didn’t turn anything up except a few posters who aren’t fans.

A quick recipe search on Google seems to be pulled pork, liver, and some kind of sauce, but the rest of the recipes varied considerably.

Any mid-2018 thoughts? Thanks.
          I realize it is now 2021, and this thread is quite old, but as a new member, I thought I'd chime in.

Hash in SC is a staple. Literally half of the restaurants in the state serve a version of hash. It is made for fundraisers by volunteer firefighters and church groups. It is made by families for dinner or for things like holiday gatherings or reunions.

It is made in a variety of ways: with beef, with pork, with both, (even in some cases with venison and/or chicken), with tomatoes, without, with mustard sauce, without, each cook/restaurant has his own take.

It is a dish that hasn't spilled much beyond our borders. Even at places where it has, there are often SC connections. For instance, Elliott Moss, owner of Buxton Hall, is from Florence, SC. Bryan Furman, owner of the former B's Crackin BBQ (Atlanta/Savannah) and soon-to-be Bryan Furman's BBQ in Atlanta, is from the small town of Cassatt, SC.

In South Carolina Barbecue Hash, I wrote (a LOT) about hash and its history. There is also a map there of the SCBBQ joints that serve hash along with links to several different recipes, including a beef hash recipe in the story itself.

I don't know what it is like to experience hash for the first time, as it has been part of my culinary experience for as long as I can remember, but it is easiest to think of it as a thick, meat-based stew. That's really all it is, and what's not to like about that?

For the record, I wasn't a fan of the hash at Buxton Hall. I found it entirely too greasy and not typical of the BBQ hash that you normally find in SC. Your photo seems to prove my serving was not just a bad batch.
          Last edited by jroller; May 28, 2021, 11:25 AM.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn’t know anything about SC hash. Thanks for the info, and the link.

• jroller
            jroller commented
            Editing a comment
            Mosca New here so not exactly sure how to respond to your response...other than to respond to my post and @message you. Maybe this works? Finally....you're welcome. It is definitely a local specialty that you're not going to find almost anywhere else, but if you visit, you should give it a try. Guess it is similar to other regional dishes. Like say Cheese Curds in Wisconsin (?); something I've never had but would want to try if I visited (in the summer). Not sure if I'd like, but want to try.

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, that’s how you reply! Cheese curds are interesting.

BrentC "I think it's ambrosia?"
          Ambrosia is a fungal product used as food by ambrosia beetles.
          Last edited by bbqLuv; May 28, 2021, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• Dalmore
            Dalmore commented
            Editing a comment
            HawkerXP I've found that anything that doesn't seem to pair well with PBR just requires more PBR.

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Not another one! Dalmore

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            HawkerXP commented, "How does it pair with PBR?"
            --- Yes, of course, need you ask?

Dalmore I've found that anything that doesn't seem to pair well with PBR just requires more PBR.
            --- And the Truth will set you Free. Great minds drink alike.

jroller interesting article.
          In these parts hash is more of a dryer, fried mix of meat, potato's and veggies.
          A sorta what evers in the fridge/pantry.
          Where as yours is more a soup/stew thing.
          ....and yes, PBR would be a natural with any hash.

Comment

I believe hash is a fairly generic term for a variety of dishes. I am familiar with the sort of hash you describe, it's just not common in SC nor used in the same sense. If you offer hash to someone from SC, they are going to expect some variation of this:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Rogers-BBQ-Liver-Hash.jpg
Views:	1279
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1037411Click image for larger version

Name:	20180728_143844.jpg
Views:	1226
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1037412

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hash7-2-scaled.jpg
Views:	1234
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1037409Click image for larger version

Name:	Antleys-Bar-B-Q-Hash-e1612992300217.jpg
Views:	1361
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1037410

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here