Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need feedback on Pork Shoulder cooking profile to have ready for lunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need feedback on Pork Shoulder cooking profile to have ready for lunch

Grill gurus,

I have done a lot of pork shoulders and know when and at what temp I need to cook it at to have it ready for dinner. However, this time, I need to have to done for my son's HS graduation luncheon, ~1pm. I also have some conflicts the night before (gone from 4 to ~8pm) and morning of (gone 9:30-12noon) when I will be away from my cooker (Rec Tec 680).

My goal it to have it done and holding in my cambro the morning of the luncheon. I have 2 shoulders (boneless from Costco)- 7.1 and 7.4lbs.

Here are my plans...
    - Put on grill ~3:30pm the night before at ~225°
    - Wrap at ~9 or 10pm and turn grill down to 200-205° for overnight cook
    - Should be done in the morning so take off at ~6am (or longer if it needs to get to 203°) morning of, hold in Cambro at ~160° until ready to pull
    - Pull the meat right before we eat at ~12:30pm

Any pitfalls or concerns or feedback on this approach?

Thanks a ton!

I think that would work. My longest hold so far has been 4 hours. You could always start at 8:00PM when you're back home and run a little hotter?

Comment

Thanks. Thought of that as well. Was wanting to get a good bark, hit the stall, and wrap before heading to sleep and turning down to 200-205° overnight. Not sure if hotter starting at 8pm would get me there though.

Comment

Lol. That sounds like the worst circumstances to have to cook pulled pork. But I do think your plan should work just fine. As long as you wrap (tightly, double layer) there should no worry about drying out. Only change I might make is cook at 275 from the start to get that temp up quicker.

Comment

I would put on at 8:00 as you say and cook at 280 or so. They should be done at 8:00 in the morning. Wrap and faux cambro until 1:00.

Comment

I cant’t think of a better cut of meat to do this with.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I started with my original plan, but they only got to 165° by 6am, so I double wrapped, cranked up to 285°, and cooked until 9:15, when it reached 203°. Put in my cambro (actually a Smokin' Tex modded with an Auber PID controller) set at 160° until we pulled at 12:30. Turned out great.

If I had to do again, would probably bump up the overnight temp a bit to get it further along by 6am.

Comment

Plan looks good, as a rule of thumb especially with pork shoulder, don't be afraid to bring it in too early. If it is tightly wrapped, toweled and cambro'd you can really stretch the holding time (probe once in a while for food safety).

As they say, "better to be looking at it, than looking for it!"

One final quick tip, for potentially long, or earlier than expected holds I have some microwave heat packs I use, and just throw in to help keep temp up.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here