Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt in the Huskee Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. I'm pretty excited. They might even get done earlier than I expected (which would be fine).

DEW

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for that, Barry. The problem with the fork or bone tests this time is that I am following the Huskee method exactly, which means the butts are now wrapped and there is no good way to do those tests without unwrapping, which I don't plan on doing.

DEW

• Marauderer
      Marauderer commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it. Continuity, of a project, using a specific technique is paramount to be able to properly evaluate the outcome.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Those were my thoughts, anyway.

At 6 and 1/2 hours into the cook, the IT of the little guy is 179°F. Smoker temp just dropped down to 217°F but is already back to 223°F and climbing. Looking good.

Comment

6 hrs and 45 mins in. The 2 pieces are cooking at different rates at the moment. The smaller piece without the bone is at 199°F at the moment. The bigger guy with the bone just hit 190°F.

DEW
      Last edited by Dewesq55; January 9, 2015, 02:57 PM.

Comment

The small one came off the smoker at 7 hours almost on the dot and is resting in the faux 'bro. the bigger guy is at 194°F.

Comment

I applaud your patience DEW!!

Comment

Well, the Boss is working until at least 7 so o don't mind if it takes a while longer. I'm actually concerned that the little guy got finished too soon. How's that pizza coming?

Comment

So, here's an odd one: larger butt section is wrapped and seems to have staked again at 199°F. Any suggestions? I was dubious so I double checked with my instant read and it was correct.

Comment

I think I spoke too soon. It just jumped to 201°F. It won't be long now.

Comment

The second piece hit 201°F at 6:00 - 9 hrs and 15 mins into the cook. I put it in the faux 'bro and moved the little guy, which had been in there for 2 hours, into a pre-heated 170°F oven. Pix when I unwrap and pull. DEW

Comment

cant wait to see it.

Comment

• OGMrWhite
                      OGMrWhite commented
                      Editing a comment
                      dittto

So, better late than never. . . First, the verdict: the pulled pork was good overall. The smaller piece, which got done 2 hours earlier than anticipated and spent the next 4 hours between the faux cambro and a 170°F oven, was a little mushy and sort of steamed, but still tasty. It was tender and pulled easily, which I started to do before remembering to take a photo:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	20150109_200351.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	50794

The bigger guy was pretty perfect. It got done right on time and spent just about 2 hours in the faux 'bro and was a perfect texture. It pulled easily, the bark had good flavor and decent texture considering all the time in foil:

Name:	20150109_200751.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	50795

The bone came out nice and clean with a little tug:

Name:	20150109_200838.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	50796

Here was the jus from the foil wraps which was a little smoky but had lots of meaty umami flavor.

Name:	20150109_201448.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	50797

All in all a success, and as I said, the pulled pork sammies were delicious.

Thanks to all, especially Huskee, for the help.

DEW

Comment

Nicely done DEW. So in continuing your quest for Barrister DEW's Best BBQ Butt, are you going to try a larger intact butt? I don't like to go much larger than 3-4lbers w/o hacking them but I know some guys like the big ol' 9-13lb hunks 'o porcine.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                        Dewesq55 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I might keep the ~5lb-er intact the next time so it all gets done together. The different doneness times between the 2 pieces was the only real issue in this cook. The results of the bigger piece where I nailed the timing (9+ hrs in the smoker and 2 in the faux 'bro) were as good or better than I had expected.

BTW, I love your alliteration there (Barrister DEW's Best BBQ Butt) and may adopt it for all of my future cooks. I can even extend it: Best BBQ Brisket, Best BBQ Beef-ribs, Best BBQ Baby Backs (I'll have to switch from SLC/SR though!)

DEW
                        Last edited by Dewesq55; January 10, 2015, 10:47 AM.

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Spares could be "Bigger-Boned Bottom Baby Backs" LOL.

Looks delish!

Comment

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        "Delish?"

"Yeah, you know, short for delicious."

"Oh, like scrump?"

DEW, your patience paid off. Really looks great!!

Comment

Thanks. Since I had never cooked a butt before (only picnics) I had never had the thrill of pulling that blade bone out clean from the roast with just a little twist and tug. I was like a little kid when I did that.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here