Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to reheat pulled pork one day after cooking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to reheat pulled pork one day after cooking?

I know this has been asked more than once, but my question is a little different, since I'm not intending to freeze it like I usually do and reheat it weeks/months later.

Due to the unrelenting rain we're getting, I'm going to cook 2 pork butts on Friday (only a 30% chance of rain) for our neighborhood Memorial Day cookout which is on Saturday (60% - 90% chance of rain).
    I'm wondering how best to reheat the meat Saturday for dinner around 5 PM?

I thought I'd vacuum seal it with the collected juices and throw it in the fridge. Should I let it cool down some before bagging and putting it in the fridge or do that right after pulling/shredding it. Is there any advantage to putting some butter in with the meat and if so, how much per pound?

On Saturday I'd put the bags in a couple of pots of simmering water just before dinner time, then put the meat in warmed aluminum pans and hope that it stays above 140 degrees long enough for everyone to get at least one plate.

Does anyone see any flaws in that or have better advice? I'd appreciate your ideas and advice.

Thanks.

Sounds good to me. I'd let it cool to room temp first before putting if fridge. Another option is leave it whole, then reheat it in the oven or in the water, then pull it the day of.

I recommend re-moisturizing it with both butter and water but only if needed.

Comment

If you had a SV machine, I'd recommend that. But your plan is good as far as I'm concerned. You've got juices, so you probably don't need the butter. I'm occasionally tempted to add some Mae Ploy sauce while pulling the pork. The eaters seem to like the effect (keep it modest).

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Beat me to the punch....+1 on SV re-heat (although a pot of 140* water would work)

fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy
      Charter Member Mod. Emeritus

June 24th, 2016, 12:32 AM
      I have also pulled and put in a crock pot and added about 1/2 cup of water per 5 pounds, and about 1 tablespoon of butter per pound. This was a delivery to a party and I stirred occasionally and after an hour it was still excellent. I did not wrap during the smoke, so I had no juices in the foil to add back. Freshly pulled is the best, but this works very well when the situation

This is what fuzzydaddy post back in June 2016----------------I have used his Butter/Water sauce several times on Pulled Pork with wonderful success!! He claims to have gotten it from Meathead. Try it sometime. Thanks. Skip

Comment

I've done this on many occasions and it's a slam dunk each time. It may not be the "officially correct" way to do it, but man is it still good.

1. Pull it the day you cook it. If possible, save a nice batch of the drippings. I usually do this by cooking it the last 2 hours or so in a foil pan so it all can collect.
        2. Sauce it up with your choice of BBQ sauce along with some melted butter and a couple splashes of apple juice. Add the drippings if you were able to catch some
        3. Seal it up as best you can. Usually I will keep it in the foil pan and seal it up tightly with a couple layers of foil. Toss it in the fridge
        4. On the day of the event, begin re-heating it 3 hours before meal time. The best (and slowest) way is to go on 225 the entire way. Me? I go 225 for an hour, then 250 the rest of the way. If it's a little behind (give it a taste test after 90 minutes or so), crank it up to 275. Once it's nice and hot, set the oven back to 170 to hold if it's ready a little early.
        5. Enjoy

When you reheat it, you can drain off some of the drippings if it feels like the pork is swimming in a pool of juices. If not, leave it and serve. Good luck!

Comment

All good advise.

We end up with a fair amount of Pork extra from time to time. We've tried a few techniques, and here's what we found works best for us so far:

1.) Leave them whole.
          2.) Keep all the juice you can. If you have room, put the butt in a half pan for the end of the cook, and collect that precious au juis. You may want to store every drop of this in a separate container than how you store the butt, so none is spilled or wasted.
          3.) Vacuum seal is great. Ziplock is alternative.
          4.) You have 2 hours to get that butt to below 70 degrees, and 4 hours total, from whence it got below 140 degrees, to the safe zone, 40 degrees or below. You'll need to judge if your fridge is robust enough to cool the butts fast enough. Alternatives are to put it in your freezer for couple hours, then the fridge. Or, you could bag it in a sealed bag and submerge it in an ice bath to knock that temp down quickly.
          5.) If it's in the vacuum bags, reheat in boiling water, or in an oven, 250 or so. Water is great if possible, works faster.
          6.) Pull and sauce per your tastebuds delight. Oh, and put in that precious juis!!!!

Pulling ahead of time, before the storage, makes it simpler on the day of eating, but we've found the quality of texture is not as good. When you reheat whole, it's very near to original quality. Hard to tell the difference.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here