Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Spare ribs also SL Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Spare ribs also SL Ribs

We call them spare ribs this side of the world. Is this what you all refer to as St. Louis ribs? 3 racks with a total weight of 16 pounds and Wednesday they get the smoke along with 3 off 10 pound butts and I might add a 3.5 pound beef short rib. The butts are for the technician’s meals and 1 of the ribs for moi. All the good comments from weekend have me cajoled to more cooking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180521_190954.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	503068

Pork Rib Cuts

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks that sorts that out.

Yes. St. Louis cut is just a way of trimming spareribs.

Comment

The St. Louis Cut is just the spare rib with the rib tip removed, as shown in one of the charts here:

How do you tell the difference between rib cuts? Learn all the names and characteristics of the different rib cuts and how to cook them.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        If we go anywhere and ask for biltong, we get stared at.

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Potkettleblack I make or did make lots of biltong until I started smoking. I have been tempted to do so recently. I have a homemade dryer that does about 6 Kg using a light bulb and fan. Done in 3-4 days depending on wetness preference. I like mine wet.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice. A number of SA folks that I talk to online (mostly through Tim Noakes) are kookoo for biltong. I think there's some here, but I suspect you have/make much better versions.

Simple answer is > YES

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Just a little longer.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here