Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little pork butt experiment...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting indeed! Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to final results.

Comment

The difference was I didn't notice a difference. Flavor was excellent before adding any additional rub. I use Oak Ridge Competition pork and chicken rub. Sprinkled layer of it on top of the pulled pork bagged vac and in the freezer.

The method I use is to pan the butt around 170. I pour 8 oz. of dark beer in the bottom of the pan and leave uncovered in the smoker until 205 to 210. The beer and the juices mingle. The butts sat in the Cambro overnight in the pan covered with foil. When I pull the next morning all the beer and juices are in the bottom of the pan. I pull the butts directly in the pan. When I'm finished pullin' and pickin' there is no more liquid in the pan as the pork has reabsorbed it all.

I still got a decent amount of bark. Most of the bark is on what's left of the fat cap and comes off and gets tossed in the pulling process. This may be the only argument for smoking fat cap down so as to get the bark on the meaty side of the butt. Downside would be with the fat cap down it will cook off much quicker and I would lose most of those great rendered juices as the drip off onto my tuning plates. I think I would rather reserve those so tasty juices than to have more bark as I feel I get enough bark anyhow.

Truthfully I almost feel I could cook them sans any rub at all until after the cook and still have a excellent product. I believe most of the flavor comes from the smoke and pan juices along with the beer.
      I would encourage somebody else to try this method and let me know what you think!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here