Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More mystery meat. I tell you, it's never a dull moment around here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More mystery meat. I tell you, it's never a dull moment around here.

So after several years of making the best (readnly) BBQ in town, another American finally got a grill. A competitor at last! A gas grill, not very great but at least it's something. He also has an outdoor terrace roof area for parties, something I'm going to appreciate as the summer goes on. A few weeks ago he posted photos of his first cookout where someone had bought a whole hog's leg. They cut it up and grilled it over direct heat with some kind of mustard sauce. I said to myself, that couldn't be very good. I wouldn't know how to cook a leg like that, but I know direct grilling isn't the answer. I would have been there with bells on, but I couldn't attend due to the fact I had to jump on the bullet train to Shanghai that afternoon.

I'm in the market for a gas grill that I can slow cook on, and from the photos it looked like he had a grill that might shut. So I dropped by today to check it out. It mostly closed, but had a 1/4 inch gap where the hinge met (didn't meet) the back. I'm not sure if that's going to work for slow cooking or not. In my Weber kettle, it's pretty much closed up except for the intake and exhaust slots, both of which can be controlled. Maybe I can get a baffle made. Pain in the butt. More to the point, I'm about to leave and he asks me if I want the leftover leg. Huh? I thought they ate it! Nope, they just ate part of it. It's still in the freezer and he doesn't want it. Well, I'll take it, I guess? Free meat is free meat, right?

One problem: I have no idea what to do with it. It's a whole bottom leg, hoof and all. He gave it to me hard as a rock. It's currently sitting in my sink. My idea is to have him over to my setup tomorrow or Tuesday, and cook it up and invite a couple other people. I have never done pork like this before. I would be doing it on my Weber kettle, not his gas grill. I checked all the recipes on the table of contents, and there's nothing there about a hog's leg. It weighs in at 8.8 pounds. It would feed how many, you think? I'm sure there's a ton of bone in there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180506_173337.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	495279

Thanks to anyone who can offer any advice about what to do with this thing!

Granddad had a hog farm, so growing up I ate a few. If I can remember correctly 1. Cut off foot, thats for pickled pigs feet. 2. Marinate and then hot and fast.

Comment

ComfortablyNumb

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Name dropping again? ;-)

Smoke first, then braise.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree with smoke, then braise! Or smoke, them make beans!

The mystery cut is called a hock. Googling 'smoke(d) ham hock' will give you several sites. Here's few, don't hold me responsible for content, didn't read them all. However, it seems boiling is involved....

How to smoke neck bones. Add incredible flavor to your soups, stews and chilis!

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Well.... I cook things. When I cant, I know people. That's how I roll. Didn't know you were going to GTS it. Peace Paisano!

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        HouseHomey I had to Google as the OP wants to do it on a grill. We put ours in a crockpot with beans or use it in pea soup.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        I think the hock is just the knuckle. Pretty sure that is a shank, hock, and a trotter all together

Like HorseDoctor said, you could salt it, smoke it, and then make some red beans and rice, or hoppin johns. Ham, sweet potato, and pea soup is fantastic too. Or a big batch of purple hull peas.

Comment

Oh, it's not for cooking out, eh? Hmm. And apparently it yields very little meat. Might just cook something else, then. OK thanks everyone!

Comment

Manicure...sorry, it is all I can come up with off the hoof.

Comment

First thing that comes to my mind when I see that is Sulz.
            Grandma and Uncle Martin made some EXCELLENT sulz every fall.
            Done right it is an excellent snack.
            Done wrong it is inedible.
            Sulz is an original head cheese made of pigs feet with the bone in
            Last edited by Cheef; May 7, 2018, 09:23 PM.

Comment

The site that I found the reference to Sulz on is some pretty interesting reading. The section on smoke houses has a few that remind me of Grandmas.
              I also remember my Uncle ''Larding'' Wild Geese with bacon fat. The farm was right in the middle of the Central Flyway, and all the Uncles were way better than average wing shots.
              Here is an interesting article on Larding.
              The definition of wild game covers large animals and smaller animals

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here