Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled pork, Kettle, SnS, no crutch...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled pork, Kettle, SnS, no crutch...

I want to make a pulled pig, using the SnS on a 22 inch kettle and I don't want to use the crutch.

Any suggestions/tips/tricks that aren't readily available on this site? Bark is king for me. so I'm considering cutting it in half to increase surface area. What else will help me not go insane. I haven't cooked anything bigger than a rack of ribs on the kettle yet, so I'm a total noob where big, long cooks are concerned.

Cut it in half as you say, that will give you a lot more bark. Except for that, tune your grill to < 250 def F, and just wait it out. You’ll be fine!

Comment

Start early, give yourself up 12 hours, you can always cambro if it comes off early. Be prepared to tend/add to your fire once or twice during your cook (including poking the ash down in the SnS). Be patient, enjoy the cook, and don't sweat it. Oh, and post pics or it never happened!

Comment

Butts are one of the easiest meats to cook low and slow. Try to get the pit temp fairly steady, but don't get upset if the temp goes up and down a bit. Anywhere between 225* and 300* will work, but as Henrik said, try to keep it closer to 225* - 250*.

Comment

I never crutch my Boston butts, either on the offset or kettle + SNS. Just be patient, as it will take a long time. I've had them take anywhere from 12 to 18 hours, depending on size (7 to 10 pounds usually for me).

Comment

All the unwrapped, 4-5lb (cut in halfish) butts I've done have taken me 16 hrs on the SnS to get to 195, by then they were plenty done. This was at 225-240. I found the bark to be way too hard for me doing this. For best results I suggest flipping them if you can after about 8-10hrs since there's a lot more heat the further up from the great you get than at the grate.

Comment

Thanks, everyone. Great tips.
              - cut in half
              - keep temps around below 250
              - flip 'em halfway through
              - cambro if it's done before chow time
              - be prepared for coal management - 1 or possibly 2 refuels, and clear out the ash.

What else?

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Give yourself 15 hours. Better early than late.

Will cutting it in half decrease cook time significantly?

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Time is related to thickness. So, assuming you're cross-cutting, probably not. The main benefit will be the increased bark.

I only cook on kettles. Leave your 5 pounder whole and crank her up to 275°-280° 2/3 full resivor, Pull it, hold and serve it. Start to finish 8-10 hours tops. Hashtag HERO!!

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                It must be the west coast air because I've never had a butt go more than 12 hrs.

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                CaptainMike ??? Ehh.... "8-10 hours tops" including holding time

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                HouseHomey, the longest one I've done on the SnS is about 12 hours and it was a 2 pounder! I though that thing would never hit 203.

Cut it in half and crank up the heat to 275 degrees f. You'll have great bark and it'll be done fast without a crutch.

Comment

I just did this a couple of weeks ago, maybe this thread will help ya out: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...d-pork-success

Comment

• Buck Flicks
                  Buck Flicks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks!! Has my mouth watering. Not helping that I haven't eaten since 8:30 last night and it's after noon now, and I still have to wait for my blood draw at 2:00.;

Click image for larger version

Name:	0FA29297-0DEB-47A3-9B62-AF26B7A1FBFA.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	493834Click image for larger version

Name:	D5408126-8CED-43B7-AC70-7664F8E2A4AD.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	493833
                butterfly cut works for us

Comment

• Dr ROK
                  Dr ROK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Never seen em cut like this. You should post a video!

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That reminds me of a recipe we got from the NYT for pork butt cutlets. Quick, easy, delicious!

Here is a simple dinner you could cook on a pancake griddle set on the grate above a fire pit or grill in someone’s backyard, as if performing a magic trick The result is a plate of thick, luscious pork with a deep, burnished crust, redolent of garlic and rosemary, and a sunset of soft, smoky peaches nutty with brown butter The technique is what Francis Mallmann, the Latin American chef who developed the recipe and is its most refined and stylish practitioner, calls “the uncertain edge of burnt.” It requires patience and keen observation

If you can't access the link, let me know.

Sure I’m catering next week weekend Ill video the trim
                I think its out there already
                Some completion guys use this
                I started doing it when I was competing on drum smokers

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here