Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second Annual Whole Pig Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Annual Whole Pig Roast

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180325_062503446.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	493468Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180325_105925127.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	493469Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170323_134910406.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	493470
    Here are some pictures of our last pig roast.
    The pig was almost 50 pounds. Simple method, season well with salt and pepper and baste with a Carolina Vinegar And Pepper Mop Bbq Sauce *
    3 cups Apple Cider Vinegar, 1/4 cup Red Pepper Flakes, 1/4 cup Ground Black Pepper, 1/8 cup Salt, 1/2 cup Ketchup, 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar, 1 Tablespoon Crushed Garlic.
    Put all ingreadents into a pot, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
    Makes about 4 cups.

Cooked until hams registered 180. Cook time was about 10 + hours, letting our coals die down tward the halfway point not to burn the outside.

Built the rotisserie with motor and spit from Amazon. The cooker also has stainless grates that are adjustable if you want to grill for a mass of people. Had fun building it.

Very nice! Looks like fun!!

Comment

Great looking setup! Congrats!

Comment

Real nice!

Comment

Great job on the build and the cook.

Comment

that's awesome

Comment

Ah,memories, Your cook reminds me of my 1st whole pig roast, in semi-rural NC-@ 15mi. out of Goldsboro circa 1987. This was done farm style-with not nearly the updated equipment you put together. Pig was from down the road. Would like to have had a sample of yours. No doubt-fantastic.
              The sauce was made well before, in the old glass 1 gallon jugs.

M.

Comment

I like EVERYTHING about this! Great build, cook, and post!

Comment

Awesome set up. Would you mind providing the details on the spit/motor you purchased?

Comment

That is awesome!

Comment

You win!

Comment

Hi All,
                        I had a request to post the info on the rotisserie set up that I used.
                        Here is a cop and paste from the Amazon site. Titan Outdoors Stainless Steel 90 lb Capacity Open Fire Rotisserie System Tripod.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's current price is at 172.99 with free shipping.
                        Here is a note! I had some trouble with the first motor not being as powerful as I thought it should be. I contacted Titan and they sent me a new motor no questions asked. They also have other models. Happy with the product and service.

Comment

Another note on the pig roast. I learned from the first time that fastening a pig to a spit is a chore. The first time I tried I had a problem with it coming loose. I tried some heavy wire along with the hardware that came with the rotisserie. That kinda worked, but it was still a pain in the butt.

So on the second one I got two long U-Bolts with cross straps and went put them through the inside around the spit, back bone and the strap was on the outside. Guess What no more problems. Worked Great.

Hope this helps anyone else who attempts to roast a pin on a rotisserie.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                            HorseDoctor commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You can also try just rotating the pig 90-180 degrees every half hour or so by turning power on/off... Gets the same thing accomplished as a constant rotation without the pig falling apart. May not look quite as nifty as a constantly rotating pig but MUCH easier cook!!!

How long do you think the pig was when on the rotissere? I have a thirty inch firepit which might be too small to do a whole pig. halfglass

Comment

Slick rig and nice looking pig!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here