Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baby Back Ribs - how to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby Back Ribs - how to?

Dear all

I am competing with my BBQ buddy in the WBQA national championship later this year. In the ribs category, we will be cooking Iberico Baby Back ribs (this is mandatory according to the rules) on a Primo XL 400.

We have tried 3-2-1 several times without succes (the meat is to tender for competition due to the high amount of fat). How will you suggest cooking Iberico Baby Back ribs on a Primo?

I don't have any background in Competition criteria, so take this with a grain of salt. My inclination would be to do it as natural as possible: no wrap (because of the fat), only a basic rub (because of the flavor of that pig). Saucing, not sure what to say. I'd put it on the side at home.

You might want to experiment ahead of time with a smoke pot to get more smoke than other Kamado cookers: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-got-em-part-2

For me, the main point would be displaying the natural goodness of that pig!
    Last edited by EdF; April 27, 2018, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Try 3-1-1 since they are baby backs you might want to cut the last hour in half (30 mins).

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        or even 4-1-1. The comp guys I know that do 'em wrap for an hour in butcher paper, no Parkay or brown sugar or honey.

Seems like you are going to need to get some of those ribs in advance, and do test runs different ways. I would start as EdF suggests without a wrap, and if saucing, sauce in the last 30 minutes of the smoke, unless you finish on another grill. Then if that is not tender enough, try DWCowles suggestion of wrapping for less time. When I do the wrap method on baby backs, I do 2-2-1, but they are cheap Sam's Club loin back ribs, not Iberico pork. If the pork has a higher fat content, then as you point out, they are going to be too tender and fall off the bone from 2 hours wrapped. You want some bite.
      Last edited by jfmorris; April 27, 2018, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• cccq
        cccq commented
        Editing a comment
        What I was thinking.

Thank you all. I think I will start by trying 2-0,5-0,5 and increase until I get the best result.

Comment

I think that's a good start, but I think you will need more than 3h total. I personally, for babybacks for competition, I would want to go about 4h total, with half to 1h wrapped. Of course, as noted above the Iberico may change that a lot. The ONLY way to be sure is to do multiple practice runs. You have 42 days until then!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here