Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cut of Meat Used for Thin Sliced Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cut of Meat Used for Thin Sliced Pork

Several of our local barbecue joints serve thinly sliced pork that very moist and tender. The slices are somewhat round and about the diameter of a pork loin. However, the slices are far more moist that I would expect from a loin and appear to consist of 3 distinct sections of muscle separated by a thin layer of fat. Does anyone know which cut of meat this is taken from and how it is cooked?

I would suggest asking them next time you dine there. If I have to guess, pork tenderloin.

Comment

When I was in college in the 80's, one of the places we tended to frequent, due to various rotating "all you can eat" specials, was Sonny's BBQ. It's a chain in Georgia, maybe a few other states. Anyway, they had sliced pork BBQ like that, which I of course slathered with their thick sweet BBQ sauce. It was pork loin, and I use to cook those more than I have lately. I need to pick one up next time I am at Sam's.

It is possible to smoke a pork loin and have it be tender and juicy. The key is not getting it above 145F. You go to anything higher it will dry out. I am sure there are some good recipes here on the pit, but the last pork loin I did was bacon wrapped, cooked in the sous vide at 145 for 5-6 hours, then seared in the oven for a few minutes to crisp up the bacon. It was gone quickly.

Years ago when the temperature guidelines were different, they told us we had to cook pork to 165, and I did. That ruins the pork loin, making it very dry. Try cooking one to 145 - you will love it. Just slather on a good dry rub, after salting at least overnight, and smoke for just a few hours to get it to temperature.

Another hint - do not carve all the slices of the pork in advance. Carve as you need it. Just like brisket, it tends to dry out once carved. When we reheat leftover pork loin, I slice it thin, put it on a plate with a little bit of BBQ sauce, and reheat in the microwave. The BBQ sauce on the reheat keeps it moist.
      Last edited by jfmorris; April 12, 2018, 07:53 PM.

Comment

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Totally agree with you jfmorris. Pork loin can handle a little smoke too if you wish.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Skip - I usually smoke it, just pull it around 140 these days, so that carry over cooking will take it to 145 in the center. That leaves a slight pink. The SV was something to try over the holidays when weather was crappy.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I do 140* all the time...that's the winning temperature for us. No trichinosis so far

It might be a portion of the sir "loin" cut. I think that's what Numb meant above only it's named differently on a hog. Didn't mean to duplicate numb above.

Comment

Ever since Potkettleblack recommended sous viding pork chops at 135°F prior to searing, I've had great results. No more dried out pork. Yay!

I've done pork roasts on the smoker the same way--pull around 135 or so. I know that's a bit shy of the "safe" temp but carryover and perhaps some searing as needed takes it up to 140ish at the end.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here