Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American BBQ meets SW cooking thank you Househomey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American BBQ meets SW cooking thank you Househomey

9 lb pork butt going on the Kamado Joe this morning to make hopefully some authentic pork carnitas. Picked up some Guajillo peppers to make a scratch sauce to go with this. This is tomorrow's lunch for my coworkers. Credit is due to HouseHomey for telling me how to go about making this . Started it with a light kiss of smoke before covering Click image for larger version

Name:	20180408_095125.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	479325Click image for larger version

Name:	20180408_095013.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	479326

You are off to a great start. Lookin' forward to the results.

Comment

Oh heck yes my porky friend!!!!! Grab a book and a beer and the the heat do the rest. Love guajillos!

Comment

Very cool. Very porky indeed.

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

I've done 'em that way in the slow cooker, might have to up my game a little.

Comment

Nice

Comment

customtrim How much lard did you need for that dutch oven? Looks like a 4 or 6 quart dutch oven?

Can you tell I'm so going to copycat your technique handed down by the Master HouseHomey ?

Kathryn

Comment

• customtrim
                  customtrim commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The recipe I'm kind of following calls for 1 1/4 cups for 4 lb roast I'm doing 9lb so I did almost double it by adding 2 cups
                  fzxdoc

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, customtrim .

K.

This looks promising.. yummmy

Comment

Well final results I do believe it has more flavor than a regular smoked,pulled but, it does not take as long to do, and the Guajillo sauce is fantastic, better than any type of store bought I have ever had HouseHomey deserves a raise over all of this. I could have done a little bit more on the crispy part and next time I will reserve a little of the juice , other than that will definitely do my next butt this way fzxdoc you are in for a treat Click image for larger version

Name:	20180408_183021.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	479710Click image for larger version

Name:	20180408_182947.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	479711

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Oh wow. That looks amazing. Congrats, customtrim . Enjoy sharing with your friends/coworkers at lunch tomorrow.

Kathryn

Comment

That's a sauce alright? Did you strain it? I start mine like a curry and finish it hard then smooth. This looks amazing. We need to tal ab Out whatyou had as flavor in the batch. And the sauce.

This is looking DELICIOUS and your just getting started. fzxdoc you are too kind. Pit people rock and the pit is loaded with y'all being awesome cooks!

I'm sure your peeps will apreciate the effort. They probably have great recipes and techniques.

Sincerelty, as far as your cook is concerned.... I'd eat that!!

nice work!

Comment

• customtrim
                          customtrim commented
                          Editing a comment
                          HouseHomey the sauce I roasted the peppers, also added some anchos, soaked them for 30 minutes added salt oregano and garlic and put in the vitamix till smooth and the consistency I wanted
                          Last edited by customtrim; April 9, 2018, 05:49 AM.

• customtrim
                          customtrim commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The pork I added 1 orange,2 onions 4 Bayleafs 8 large cloves of garlic 2 tablespoons of crushed whole oregano water and lard I believe that was it, salt and pepper

Impressive!!

Comment

How long in the Kamado Joe with the lid off the dutch oven, customtrim ?

Kathryn

Comment

• customtrim
                            customtrim commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It took all day but that was mostly me I started off at 225 and would raise the temp every couple of hours I finished at 350. And IT of the pork was 190. Next time I will probably do 225 for 2 hours for the light smoke then kick it up to 350

• customtrim
                            customtrim commented
                            Editing a comment
                            fzxdoc I started cooking at 9 was done a little after 5 could reduce that a lot by upping the temperature earlier than i did

• fzxdoc
                            fzxdoc commented
                            Editing a comment
                            So you put the lid on after 2 hours customtrim ? Or you never put the lid on? I ask because many recipes I've seen use a tight-fitting lid. I'm guessing you never used a lid.

How was the smoke taste? Light/Med/Heavy?

Hope I'm not bugging you!

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here