Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Househomey I could use your knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Househomey I could use your knowledge

HouseHomey I'm cooking a butt or two for my coworkers on Sunday, I have no problem on that part but I want to turn it into carnitas from there, if you were doing this for yourself what process, ingredients would you follow after the shredding, is crisping it under a broiler neccessary. Thank you in advance

I guess HouseHomey is not in the House....

Comment

He will be here soon.

Comment

I wouldn't do it that way at all. Here's why.

Traditionally carnitas are fried slowly in lard. Picture that slow cooking/bubbling stock or stew. Same thing applies with frying hunks of pork butt. You can use canola or such if you don't want lard. Sear off the hunks first.

The oil is also flavored with lime/lemon and garlic. Orange can also be used and is delicious. Your meat should be well seasoned in advance before ever going in the lard. I generally add liquid seasoning straight to the lard a little at a time otherwise it will boil over and that's no bueno with hot grease, especially when adding liquid flavor.

if you really need to crisp up some pork after it's been smoked as "pulled pork" I would suggest a simple screaming sauté to crisp it up.

When you smoke you pull out all of that connective tissue and moisture taking it up to 200+ and then frying or deep frying, it likely will give you dry meat by the time you achieve the crunchy pork that people love about carnitas.

Might i suggest enchiladas in a scratch guallio sauce with that awesome pork? Perhaps add the pork to a flour tortilla with cheese, jalapeño and cilantro. Roll it like a little burrito, fasten with toothpick and fry it.

Perhaps taquitos. Rolled in open ended corn tortillas and fried. Served with guac and a Pico de gallo.

Let your meat shine.

i am happy to help with any of that stuff. Please let me know.

I hope this helps.
        HH
        Last edited by HouseHomey; April 5, 2018, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• smokenoob
          smokenoob commented
          Editing a comment
          you had me at "I"

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I wish there was a Like button for your comment, smokenoob.

HouseHomey , thanks. You're the best.

Kathryn

HouseHomey thank you I would rather use lard if I go that route, have to see what kind of setup I can go with. They have brought in numerous times the rolled and fried tortillas which would be a option as well as maybe some empanadas or arepas. Again I thank you for your knowledge I knew I would not just have a recipe to throw it in a pressure cooker and boil the crap out of it . Will let you know how I go about it and how it turns out
        Last edited by customtrim; April 6, 2018, 07:02 AM.

Comment

I see what're your thought process is. I have a feeling they'll appreciate being fed by you. Green chili and smoked pork are amazing together as well onions, garlic, chili and stock make a great base for pulled pork. Delicious. Stuff that in an empanada and I'm on my way too!!!

I want to work for you now.

Comment

• customtrim
            customtrim commented
            Editing a comment
            My thought process is that anyone can make pulled pork I just want to make it better

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here