Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My tale of two butts & two ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you sirs! Like I've said before it's as fun sharing as doing it!

Comment

That was amazing Huskee!! I tried your HRR and extra sugar on some SLC's a week ago. I had to rush the ribs and they were not tender but, #1 and the kids couldn't get over the flavor. I used some HRR on a smallish pork loin yesterday and I thought it was the best! Can't wait to try it on some chicken.

Nice write up!!

Comment

Thanks cdd! Yeah, my kids last nigth at dinner ate more than I've seen them eat in a long time. I'm not usually a huge sweets person but I think this balance works phenominally on ribs! Just as good, maybe better, the next day.

Comment

Great writeup, Huskee! Awesome pics, and yes, I'm envious of that backyard view also.

Interesting test on doing the heavy slather of mustard as a marinade. Will definitely try it. Just a quick question: Do you think the fact that the mustard butt was twice the size of the "plain" butts did have any effect on the end result, moisture specifically? Not sure it was twice the size, but it looks that way, so I thought I had to ask.

Comment

Interesting you bring that up. That was clearly the flaw in my execution and I wondered the same as I taste tested. The mustard bark and shallow layers under the bark were more moist coming out of the foil from the cambro, and I'm quite certain butt size had nothing to with bark. Also relying on what I know my pulled pork to normally be, I chose to use this as evidence for mustard more than size. I could be wrong. Also the mustard flavor wasn't noticeable at all.

What I should've done was either not cut either of them or cut both. But instead of a 'scientific' test, this was a taste test mainly for my wife & I and we both picked mustard (she was blind, I obviously knew). I may try a more scientific approach next time....now that I notice there IS a difference I have to isolate it for argument's sake.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the feedback. I have no doubt at all the test is still valid, and it was a very interesting read. It is just the analytical part of my brain getting all excited, scanning the details. I haven't tried marinating in mustard like you do, but I really like the approach, will have to test it myself. Thanks for the inspiration!

Go mustard! Yay team! - lol

Comment

WOW! Mrs Brown came to town!

Comment

Looks great Huskee. Great Write up.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here