Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Easter baby backs on the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VideoWolf88
    Club Member
    • Mar 2018
    • Rickman, TN
    • Charbroiled Tru Infrared gas grill
      Pit Barrel Cooker
      Maverick digital thermometer

Easter baby backs on the PBC

First attempt at ribs on my PBC. Made some Memphis Dust this morning; fingers crossed.
    Attached Files
  • Jon Solberg
    Former Member
    • Jul 2014

There going to be awesome!

Comment

• DWCowles
      Founding Member
      • Jul 2014
      • Smiths Grove, Ky
      • Hi, my name is Darrell. I'm an OTR truck driver for over 25 years. During my off time I love doing backyard cooks. I have a 48" Lang Deluxe smoker, Rec-Tec pellet smoker,1 Weber Genesis 330, 1 Weber Performer (blue), 2 Weber kettles (1 black and 1 Copper), 1 26" Weber kettle, a WSM, 8 Maverick Redi Chek thermometers, a PartyQ, 2 SnS, Grill Grates, Cast Iron grates, 1 ThermoPop (orange) and 2 ThermoPens (pink and orange) and planning on adding more cooking accessories. Now I have an Anova sous vide, the Dragon blower and 2 Chef alarms from Thermoworks.

Don’t sweat it...you got this!

Comment

• tRidiot
        Club Member
        • Dec 2015
        • NE OK
        • Traeger BBQ124
          Yoder YS480
          Chargriller Duo gas/charcoal side-by side

Easy Peasy

Comment

• VideoWolf88
          Club Member
          • Mar 2018
          • Rickman, TN
            Pit Barrel Cooker

They went in about 15 minutes ago. Added some applewood chunks about five minutes before that.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF
            Club Member
            • Jul 2016
            • Atlantic Highlands, NJ
            • Uuni Pro (new kid in town)
              Karubeque C-60
              Large BGE since 2002 + plate setter + pizza stone + upper grid + stainless paella pan for drippings (the best!)
              TEC Cherokee FR since 2014 (portable infrared grill - does a mighty sear)
              Polyscience Sous Vide Pro since 2012 (wasn't much else available in those days)
              Thermapen
              Thermapen Air
              ThermaQ (or its predecessor)
              Thermoworks Hi temp IR
              BBQ Dragon & Chimney of Insanity
              Various other stuff

And ... ?

Comment

• HawkerXP
              Club Member
              • Jul 2016
              • Virginia
              • 2 Weber Performers, 1 kettle, 1 Smoky Joe and a PBC
                Thermopops
                Dot and Chef Alarm with probes
                Slo n Sear
                Cold beer

tic, tic, tic...........

Comment

• VideoWolf88
                Club Member
                • Mar 2018
                • Rickman, TN
                  Pit Barrel Cooker

... pretty much a disaster. On the plus side, the flavor was spot on and even got a good smoke ring. But they were way overcooked, and the bark on the ends was burnt. Wife spent an hour talking me off the ledge, and I think I can talk about it a little more rationally now. The simple fact is I am still struggling with getting a handle of temperature control on the PBC and also using charcoal, which I've never used before the PBC. Here's where things went wrong. I noticed after about a half hour into the cook that I wasn't seeing any smoke coming out of the rebar holes. I took the lid off to invesigate and it while it felt hot enough inside the barrel, it looked like the coals had burnt out. So I panicked, and cracked the lid open about 1/4 inch and forgot I'd done so for almost an hour (I'm also learning how life and a baby can also get in the way of a good cook). So, by the time I realized what I'd done, the coals were a blazing inferno and my ribs were a mess. One good lesson I've learned from listening to you guys is that I really need a thermometer where I can monitor both the food temperature and the internal temperature of the barrel. If anyone else has any advice for me for next time, I'm all ears.

Comment

• MeatMonster
                  MeatMonster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The odd disaster keeps it interesting and makes your successes more frequent and enjoyable!

Old japanese proverb..... "Fall seven, stand eight"
              • jfmorris
                Club Member
                • Nov 2017
                • Huntsville, Alabama
                • Jim Morris

Cookers
                  • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (2021)
                  • Camp Chef FTG900 Flat Top Grill (2020)
                  • Weber Genesis II E-410 w/ GrillGrates (2019)
                  • Weber Performer Deluxe 22.5" w/ GrillGrates & Slow 'N Sear & Drip ‘N Griddle & Party Q & Rotisserie (2007)
                  • Custom Built Offset Smoker (304SS, 22"x34" grate, circa 1985)
                  • King Kooker 94/90TKD 105K/60K dual burner patio stove
                  • Lodge L8D03 5 quart dutch oven
                  • Lodge L10SK3 12" skillet
                  • Anova
                  Thermometers
                  • Thermoworks Smoke w/ Wifi Gateway
                  • Thermoworks Dot
                  • Thermoworks Thermapen Classic
                  • Thermoworks RT600C
                  Beverages
                  • Whatever I brewed and have on tap!

VideoWolf88 One of the attractions of the PBC, even if you do not yet have a thermometer, is that while the temperature will swing up and down, the almost sealed nature of the PBC and its humid internal environment mean that if you just follow the cooking directions from the PBC website you should get virtually foolproof results.

My advice is next time, follow the recipe for The Last Meal Ribs from the Pit, but follow the cooking instructions on the PBC website exactly, and don't stress over temperature and the coals so much. Keep the lid on for sure! Resist the urge to peak as long as the lid is hot to the touch, until you are farther into the cook. You won't get much smoke once the charcoal is ashed over - just a thin blue smoke - except for when the ribs warm up more and start dripping grease on the coals later in the cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
                See more
                See less
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Meat-Up in Memphis