Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help curing pork shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help curing pork shoulder

Hey everyone, just wondering if someone could help me out. I've used the curing calculator for bacon with great success—so thought I'd take a stab a curing and smoking a ham roast. I picked up a small pork shoulder from the butcher today—about 1.7kg and 3.75 inches thick, rectangular (rather than cone shaped)—tied by the butcher. I have it sitting in about 2.5L distilled water, 5 oz salt and 10g #1, vacuum packed. The curing time is recommended 21.6 days. Does 21.6 seem right? Thanks in advance!

Welcome yowwoy

Comment

Let me run your figures, but yeah, thick stuff like that takes a bit.

Comment

yowwoy I'm getting 19 days, but 21 should be alright.

Comment

Thank you for the welcome and responses! I ended up untying the shoulder, unfolded the meat and snipped a but of the connective tissue—now the thickest part is 2.25 inches, which means it will be ready for Easter.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Good thinking!

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here