Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote Barbecuing at it's finest. Pork Butt on a GMG DB W/ WiFi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Barbecuing at it's finest. Pork Butt on a GMG DB W/ WiFi

I'm starting this thread now, at 10:00PM MDT as tonight is when I'll be hitting the the pork butt with a little salt, and making some Memphis Dust for the first time.

This is my first official "Spring" Butt, and the first I have done since October of last year. (Winters are hard here, give me a break! I have done a few sets of ribs, and a brisket in -20 temps though!) I'm starting out with a 6LB Smithfield Choice from Sam's Club. Will be smoking it in the GMG While I'm at work, and monitoring via Remote Server on the GMG. My wifey will be around for basting, and some monitoring at home here, so it's not completely from work. I'll also have her testing the new Mav ET-732 to see how close temps are.

I'm using a blend of Pecan, Apple, and Cherry pellets. It'll be mopped every few hours w/ a vinegar and crushed red pepper mop to experiment. I'll start posting pics in the morning!

I make a NC style vinegar sauce to go with my pulled pork a lot, and its mostly vinegar and crushed red pepper flakes, along with a little ketchup and spices. I bet that will give the pork a nice flavor. Not sure how it will affect the bark. Looking forward to your pictures.

Comment

• Keltonfoss
      Keltonfoss commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris The idea is to get a little tang on the bark, while also leaving a substrate for the smoke to stick to. I'll add a little mop sauce to the meat after its been pulled to give it that tang as well. Just enough to kick it up a bit.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Bet it will be good. The recipe here https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...and-mop-recipe is similar but different to the one I use from "The Barbecue Bible" cookbook I've had for 10 or 15 years. Meathead says it penetrates deep as a mop sauce, so this is something I may have to try during the cook.

• Keltonfoss
      Keltonfoss commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris I based mine on Meathead's recipe. Also added a few things to it, like some white pepper, some dried poblano powder, and instead of regular hot sauce im using chipotle hot sauce.

Oh boy, I will definitely be following this thread.

Comment

I just bought an air mattress for overnight cooks. It gets me in range of my Smoke. We have Wireless INFIDELITY.

Comment

Sounds like a Very solid plan. Curious as to what pellets you are using. Did you blend them yourself? Also curious how consistent your temperatures are. I have a GMG Jim Bowie I am still learning.

Comment

• Keltonfoss
          Keltonfoss commented
          Editing a comment
          I did blend them myself. Currently using an in-house pellet from where I work. It's a base of oak, with about 30% of it being fruitwood.
          Last edited by Keltonfoss; March 23, 2018, 08:43 AM. Reason: Idiot hands.

This will be great!

Comment

Go lightly on the mopping, don't want to rinse that MMD off! Have fun!

Comment

This made me think about adding security video cam over my pit!
            smoke looks good, dog hasn't opened the smoker, no pit thieves detected, wait, what's the wife up to there? need to keep an eye on her....

remember, pics or it didn't smoke!

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              I like the way you think!

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              You know that's a pretty friggin' good idea for a Florida guy !!! Also watch your temp gauges if you set it up right (for guys like me that don't have too many fancy remote readouts on certain pits).

• Keltonfoss
              Keltonfoss commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought about this, but would have to reposition the security camera or the smoker, neither of which sounds like fun.. haha

Alright! I have my first set of pics to show ya!

I made just a slight bit of changes to the memphis dust, adding a bit of chili powder, and a dash of cayenne to give it just a tad more pop. I also had to use fresh ginger, as I do not have any powdered, hopefully I managed to estimate about how much I needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (2).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	471191

Here's that pork butt before opening pic that I took last night.

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	471193
            Apparently great in the slow cooker? I prefer smoke.

I lied yesterday, I thought my wife went to Sams. This one is from Walmart, same butt, bad price..

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	471192

Here we are this morning, all covered up and ready for the smoker.

I didn't take any pics INSIDE the smoker yet, as we all know what that looks like, and I was putting it in while i was on my way out the door. My wife will take a few for me later, she said.

Name:	unnamed (3).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	471194
            So far, this is what I'm seeing from my side of things..

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Great start!

i have a feeling you're going to be very happy with this. you're off to a great start! i'll be over around 8.

Comment

Here's another round of pictures.

This is about 2 hours in. Before mop, After mop.

It looks like if were really careful, bark will still form just fine.

Name:	unnamed (5).jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	471260Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (6).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	471261

Comment

Got my mouth watering already. 😊

Comment

Ok those pics make me hungry! And I got this gallon jug of Blues Hog Red sauce telling me to go buy some butts (and ribs) on my lunch hour. Too bad the forecast is for rain all weekend! I've relocated my offset to where I don't have cover, to be near the woodpile, and wanted to do a smoke of ribs and butts with just oak as the fuel source.

I'll probably satisfy my BBQ craving this weekend with a few slabs of ribs on the Weber Performer + SNS, since it is still next to the pavilion where I can roll it out of the rain. It's too much of a pain to roll the offset around the house and through the yard again.

My biggest issue right now is that the wife wants to cook, or have me take her out, and all I want to do is BBQ/smoke stuff!

Comment

• DWCowles
                    DWCowles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That Blue Hogs red sauce is great on ribs also.

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    DWCowles The Blues Hog red seems pretty thin. Would you use it like regular BBQ sauce at the end on the ribs? I also have a pint of the Blues Hog regular BBQ sauce, and a selection of Black Swann sauces, all sitting in the pantry waiting to be opened. I may have to do each slab with a different sauce!

• Keltonfoss
                    Keltonfoss commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We got lucky, sunshine all weekend! I'm rockin' a brisket tomorrow, so I might throw that process on here as well. Sounds like you might have to take your wife out to a poolside rib dinner at the JFMorris Pavilion

PS: Let me know how the Blues Hog is, I have been thinking about pulling the trigger since you mentioned it last time, but want some opinions.

Name:	unnamed (7).jpg
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	471386 Update: She's stallin' hard, so we're wrapping her and bringing her up to 190 before we unwrap and resume to 203

Name:	unnamed (8).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	471385

Comment

Warning: it could go into another stall if unwrapped it @190. You might need to leave it wrapped till @203. Then wrap a towel around it and place in a warm beer cooler for an hour or two. Or you can place it in the oven with the oven set on it’s lowest setting.

Comment

• smokenoob
                      smokenoob commented
                      Editing a comment
                      warm beer cooler? that's an oxymoron!!!

• DWCowles
                      DWCowles commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well hell, I didn’t want him to put it in a cold beer cooler.

• smokenoob
                      smokenoob commented
                      Editing a comment
                      lol!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here