Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone's been cooking for the Holidays......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really going to have to try your brown sugar on top thing the next time I do rips. It sounds luscious. Can you ball park for me how much you put on each rack?

DEW

Comment

Originally posted by Dewesq55 View Post
      I'm really going to have to try your brown sugar on top thing the next time I do rips. It sounds luscious. Can you ball park for me how much you put on each rack?

DEW
      I use a tablespoon (actual tablespoon spoon) and I scoop 3 somewhat heaping spoonsful on each rack 1/3 in from each end and one in the middle. Then I spread it out fairly evenly within reason. If I have a real large rack I might scoop a 4th one on.

Comment

Cool. Thanks.

Comment

Here's a general idea of what they look like once on the smoker and ready to roll.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2155-1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	47531

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, I agree that's why I snapped a pic!

• HC in SC
            HC in SC commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed - looks great! Unfortunately when hanging rack in the PBC this can't be done.

Next time I do ribs in the EBC I'll add the extra brown sugar for sure!

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            @HC...that was the very first disqualifier for me when I considered getting a PBC a year or two ago. I am not interested in hanging my meat, especially since my ribs recipe is what it is, it just wouldn't work.

UPDATE 1/1/2015:

First cook of the year, but the last for the 2014 Holidays was a 8.9 lb butt that has been marinading in HRR and mustard slather in my fridge for almost a week!

This was the longest I have ever let one sit prepped in the ice box and the PBC was ready for it.

I packed the PBC full of coals on 12/31/2014 and got up at 3:30 am on 1/1 and lit the PBC.

By 3:50 AM the butt was on and the PBC was rocking out at 285 steady.

I didn't crack the lid until after 6 hours and the IT of the butt was 166 at the thickest part.

I left the lid cracked until the PBC reached 300 and then closed the lid for 2 more hours and she was all done!!

No wrapping at stall, no adding charcoal.

I even had enough heat left in the fire basket to to a burn-off of all the grease and fat!!

YAY PBC!!!!

2015 got started off on a good footing - butt was pulled and ready for New Years Day dinner!!

Happy New Year to all!!!!!

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	47681

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	47682

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	47683

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	47684

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Did the week long mustard marinade impact the flavor/texture noticeably?

• HC in SC
            HC in SC commented
            Editing a comment
            Definitely - no question about it.

The meat was much more tender and seemed to have a bit more smoke flavor as well.

Is it worth waiting a week? - if you can plan to do it, - yes IMHO.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here