Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does bacon fat keep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long does bacon fat keep?

all -

after a somewhat recent thread we've started keeping some bacon fat in the refer for frying, etc. Wondering how long is safe to store the fat. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by xaugievike View Post
    all -

after a somewhat recent thread we've started keeping some bacon fat in the refer for frying, etc. Wondering how long is safe to store the fat. Thanks in advance.
    In the frig? A long, long time. (months...). Fats and oils have traditionally been used as preservatives, before refrigeration.
    Last edited by EdF; February 18, 2018, 11:02 AM.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, do it all the time.

In a mason jar kept in the fridge with lid on it will keep almost forever.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      What he said. My grandparents just kept a jar on the counter. My mother kept it in frozen orange juice containers on the counter. Seemed never to go rancid.

I think you may find some place on the internet telling you it can go rancid. Do a good job of straining out the food bits and keep it in the fridge and I say it will never go bad.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      That's it!

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      coffee filter taped into a canning funnel works to filter the grease before it goes into the mason jar.

I’ve been keeping fat from two prime grade sirloin strip primals for many months. I render it down, strain it through a paper towel in a mesh strainer. Then I pour it into a sealed Rubbermaid container. I use it for just about anything I cook in our cast iron ware. I see no evidence of decomposition yet.

Comment

This is never something I worry about. AS others have said. In the fridge it will last for a long long time.

Comment

thanks for the feedback all....just wanted to make sure about this topic since im just getting started with it. Fried green beans tonight!

Comment

I have a small mason jar filled with bacon fat in my fridge. The bottom 1/2 inch is probably a year old (at least) since I keep topping it off every time I make bacon. I filter the bacon fat using a paper coffee filter so there are no leftover bacon bits in there

Comment

My mother kept bacon fat in the frig and I've carried on that tradition. I strain it to keep the food particles out. Just keep using and replenishing. I do date mine and after a year I start over with a fresh batch and then start the "use and replenish" process.

Comment

Yup a whole bunch a Times to what everybody said. Cept’n I pour it right straight from the skillet into the jar.

Comment

I exercise daily and can’t get this bacon fat off!

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I know right? It seems to last forever and never goes rancid ....

My folks gave me one of these years ago, best way to store bacon fat imo.....
                Click image for larger version

Name:	A2CA2B91-EB32-4157-A1F8-66231BF40D98.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	457378

Comment

Any lipid can go rancid. No worries, you will know when it does. You know the wine that smells and tastes funny.? Same thing. Until then store it!!!!

cooking hot, often and leaving it dirty also breaks it down and makes it turn faster.

You Oh know when you broke down those bonds of the oil. Smells like dead body after a while.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here