Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Bowl Party Perfect Pulled Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Bowl Party Perfect Pulled Pork

I’ve been given the task of cooking the pork for the Super Bowl Party. The last time I cooked a 6 lb shoulder on my gas grill, with smoke, at 225 degrees, it took 12 hours to get to 203. I had a big stall at 190. Here is my dilemma, the Super Bowl starts at 6:30 pm, my shoulder is about 9 lbs (untrimmed). I’m worried that I’ll either start too late, or too early. I have a faux-cambro ready, but hope to not have to depend on it for too long. Any tips and advice will be wonderful.

Wrap it when it hits the stall. You'll lose some bark. It's been recommended to then unwrap it when you hit the temp you want and put it on high heat for a few minutes to firm it up. Even if you lose some bark it will better than most anywhere you can go.

I wrapped for the first time on my last pork butt and it shaved a couple hours off. I'm also starting to cook them at 240-250 cooker temp to help speed things up a bit and haven't noticed a difference in taste and tenderness.

Comment

• Blackshirt BBQ
      Blackshirt BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I loved the bark on the last one. I would rather not wrap it to burn thru the stall, but I may have to. I do plan to raise the heat a little though.

I would allow 10-12 hrs for it to cook and 1-2 hrs in the cambro. I also like to wrapped when the IT reaches around 175 by then you should have a good bark.

Comment

The last one I did it was in the cambro for about 4 hours double wrapped in foil then in a towel and when I took it out it was still too hot to handle by hand so I had to pull it apart with forks. One thing I do is put my towels in the clothes dryer on high heat to get them good and hot before I wrap the meat with them and also fill my cooler with hot water to get it good and warm this time of year. Before I put any meat in it I empty the water and dry it good with a towel then fill it up with meat. That one probably could have gone 6 plus hours and still been hot enough.

Comment

at 225 I usually figure 1.25 hour per lb AND give myself a 4 hour cambro cushion. Thats just how I've done it. I've needed 5 hours in the cambro before. I've needed 45 minutes. every piece is different.

PS - the 5 hour cambro shoulder was still screaming hot when I took it out (I stuff the cooler air space with towels).
        Last edited by xaugievike; February 2, 2018, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• vandy
          vandy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep same way I do it with same results as far as the cambro that is. My cooler is always cram packed with towels, I put towels in the bottom of it then the wrapped meat on top of that wrapped in a towel then pack more towels in on top of it until there is no room left.

• vandy
          vandy commented
          Editing a comment
          Since I started using this cambro technique I don't worry about when the party starts or if I am going to have the meat done in time, I just get everything cooked and in the cambro until we are ready for it. I even do turkeys the same way, wings also or what ever I need to get cooked before a gathering.

I tried a "turbo" smoke on my last one at about 285* and powered thru the stall. I also cut it in half to get more bark. It was smaller at just over 5.5 pounds, but it came off the smoker at around 195* (probe tender) after just over 6 hours. A couple hours in the oven at 170* and pulled it, it was moist and bark-licious. Good luck!

Comment

Texas crutch.........

Comment

I cut ones that size in half, better exterior bark and cooks quicker. With a good pork shoulder/butt after wrapping I will turn the heat up to 300-325 and of course I have my Smoke to monitor the internal temp, it is fantastic.

Comment

Kick the temp up a bit (250-275). Done a little quicker with same end result. More time for the cambro is a good thing. Allows you to not schedule too tightly which has always "bit me in the ash". Parties are supposed to be fun. Worrying about getting done in time to feed guests ain’t no fun!!!
              Last edited by HorseDoctor; February 3, 2018, 09:11 AM.

Comment

As others have said. If you are taking it off the heat around 203F wrapped up and dropped in a faux cambro you are good from 4-6 hours. Gives you lots of planning room.

Comment

Might not be the best time to learn a new method but using a Sous Vide, then smoke give you the opportunity to pick your time to put the protein on a plate. If I was serving pulled pork at a party, that would be my choice. Any questions and I will try to answer any questions as others here will also.

Comment

Recently cooked 3 Boston butts. Stalled
                    at 169 -172. 12 hours on smoker. Wrapped with foil and turned temp up to 350 for 1 hr. Hit 203. Faux cambro for an hour then pulled. Delicious. Was first time I wrapped. Bark was good. Good luck

Comment

I think I’m going to try the Texas Crutch. Do I wrap it when it hits the stall? Or just at a certain temperature? Do I leave the foil on till I hit my target temp, or take it off at a certain temp?

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                        HorseDoctor commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Blackshirt BBQ Lots of ways to "skin that cat". Any and all of your choices would work. My preference would be to wrap when you have as much bark as you like. That will often be just as you are coming out of the stall. Might gain more time wrapping earlier but you will do so at the expense of less bark.

or, put it on at midnight tonight, faux cambro when done until serving time?

Comment

Well, I put it on at 3:00 this morning, and it’s already up to 174, and coming out of the stall. I think it’s going to be done way early. I noticed this morning that the meat had a big crack/void in it where a big piece of fat was. So I assume that it is basically cooking like it’s been cut in half. Tips?

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                          HorseDoctor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          If you're going to wrap, now would be the right time. Double wrap to save juices to add back later. Or put in an aluminum pan and cover. You'll likely have ample time for the faux cambro (or warm oven). You're golden! Enjoy!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here