Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs, Ribs, and Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs, Ribs, and Ribs

A couple of recent posts sparked an interest in trying some different rubs. It started with scottranda looking for that perfect sear/crust on his birthday steak and then amplified with David Parrish and Cayenne Maple ribs. scottranda came upon a product called Char Crust that yielded the result he was looking for. I was able to acquire a few of their products in my local market and waited for an excuse (but who needs one anyway) to try one of them. Then David Parrish comes along with that Cayenne Maple ribs recipe, so now the comparisons can begin. The players are MMD, Char Crust "All American Barbecue" and the Cayenne Maple.

Ribs were properly dry-brined and then treated to the rubs mentioned. Also made three sauces, Lexington, Mustard, and one contributed by Mr. Bones last year. So while these were on the smoker and nearing completion, prepared the Glaze for the Maple rack and sauced-up that one.

MMD is always a crowd pleaser. There was a lot of interest in the other two players. My panel of unbiased tasters (me, wife, daughter and her hubbie) had some discussion about the favorite. We didn't rank them, but the overall favorite seemed to be the Cayenne Maple. I think the glaze made the small difference in likability. That glaze, btw, is an excellent dippin' sauce.
    On the bottom is MMD, Char Crust in the middle, and Cayenne Maple on top.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180128_173932.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	446989

Awesome! Good looking ribs!!!!

Comment

everyone is doing ribs but me. i need to do something about that soon. those look awesome

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not if it's any consolation. I'm eating reheated stroganoff and tikka masala at work.

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Close your eyes and use your imagination Huskee They are ribs!!

Those look absolutely perfect.

Comment

They look fantastic!

Comment

Love rib comparisons. My guess is you liked the maple one due to the sweetness. I have found that every time I use some sort of sweetness with pork people rave about it. It's that sweet/savory note that touches the palate so well !! Nice project, thanks for sharing !!!

Comment

• vandy
            vandy commented
            Editing a comment
            I also got some of the Char Crust rubs, among them original Hickory and Hickory Maple. I have not tried them yet but next time I cook ribs I plan on using them to compare to other rubs. Definitely going to have to try that Cayanne Maple also.

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sweet and/or salty always wins blind taste tests. Explains why almost every processed food has one or both added. Also explains the new coke failure :-)

• Buck Flicks
            Buck Flicks commented
            Editing a comment
            How does it explain the new Coke failure? Are you saying it won taste tests, then failed in general retail? I was wondering whose dumb idea it was, and how it made it to market despite everyone hating it.

All three look fantastic! Dang, I guess I'll have to cook some ribs this weekend now.

Comment

So awesome! 👍🏻

Comment

They all look delicious!

Comment

OK, Cayenne Maple goes on my next ribs!

Comment

Rib nerd here -- I actually charted a schedule of testing out different recipes, rubs, sauces, etc. Alas, The Boss declared "Thou shalt not cook thy ribs weekly, but only when thou art told." I had to take all my accumulated rubs and sauces and (sigh!) toss 'em. I wish you good eating in you barbecue endeavors.

Comment

Great lookin' ribs.

Comment

Those look fantastic. I need to be a bit more adventuresome. I usually do one with Texas style with just Salt and Pepper, and a another (or two) with Meatheads memphist dust. I love them so much that I haven't really found a need to change it up.

Comment

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hey if it’s Texas like it’s ok by me !!!!

Ribs always make it, lookin great!

Comment

I don't believe you, I call a do over and Ill be a part of the judging panel....

Comment

• texastweeter
                          texastweeter commented
                          Editing a comment
                          smokinsteve, don't tempt me. where are you? Flew to Alaska once to see Ozzy....

• Polarbear777
                          Polarbear777 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hmm. "Collect" implies multiple guests.

• texastweeter
                          texastweeter commented
                          Editing a comment
                          father in law DOES have a private leer jet...

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here