Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wild Boar Medallions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild Boar Medallions

I've been given some wild boar medallions (from Steaks and Game), 8 oz, frozen. I thought I would seek a reality check from the board: these things are basically a more ferocious sort of pork loin, yes? I have had good success sous vide-ing pork loin for ~4 hours at 135, then chill, then finish on the grill. These things are the shape of little steaks, so the finish will be hot and fast. Am I missing something?

Unless it’s wild boar loin they’re not the same. Either way, cook them the way you plan to. First SV, then sear. But you want their target temperature to be a few degrees lower than regular pork, as wild boar is leaner than pork.

Comment

If it's commercially raised "wild boar" you're probably good to go as planned. From a purveyor such as Steaks and Game, I'm sure it is. Meat is probably leaner and perhaps more robust flavor (more mature) than most commercial pork. On the other hand, if anyone gives you meat from a free range feral hog that is actually an older "trophy" boar (sexually mature, intact male), don't cook it in the house, and good luck getting a dog to eat it... Plus, feral hogs may have access to eating garbage and are a trichina risk, (albeit a small risk) and should be cooked to higher temps to be safe.

Comment

• Baltassar
        Baltassar commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely a commercial product, but they call it "wild boar" so I'm goin' with that. Probably more like "slightly feisty boar," though.

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably not even a true "boar" (intact male) or at least a pre-puberal one if it is. Enjoy!!!

Thought I'd report the results, which were good -- sous vide at 130 for six hours, chill, re-heat, sear; though next time I'm going to skip the chill just finish the things in a frying pan. They are really too skinny to spend any time on a grill, even when chilled. I think I might also add some kind of rub -- I have a few more, but I wanted to try the first couple straight up. They are tasty on their own, but they could also carry some spice/sweetness, like other pork.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here