Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Pork Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Pork Butt

So I picked up a pork butt last night excited about trying it for the first time. I live in a small town so finding one was a struggle to begin with. Once I was successful I ended up injecting it and putting some rub on it overnight. I’m a teacher so I’m up early and started the grill for my wife this morning and set the vents where I thought they needed to be. It was ok but after the meat was put on by my wife at 9am (we have a 2 year old and an an almost two month old so her morning is busy). I had my Thermoworks smoke telling her where the temps were at. She texted me a couple hours into the cook the temps. The grill temp was 185 so I asked her to open the vents up some more. I was thinking it was going to be an hour per pound which would have put us around 7-8 hrs. I should have estimated longer. At 330 when I got home the internal was at 145 and grill temp was 240 which I was ok with because I wanted to eat before midnight. I ended up wrapping it in foil at 160* at 430 and it was probe tender at 545 at 195* but the grill had worked its way up to 300 for the last hour. I was curious how this would effect it and I think it may have. After a 40 minute rest I pulled it. The bone pulled out with some effort. Here was definitely some really tender parts but most took some work to tear. It was plenty moist which I was happy to see. Any help with the next one is appreciated! Here are a few pics.

After pulling at 160*
    Click image for larger version

Name:	A474410B-C942-475C-9F31-C44433ACDF42.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	441875 after pulling it

Name:	E9A50CC9-AF86-4238-BB4C-2C10CC3DEA0C.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	441876 we went with fajitas tonight and we have plenty of leftovers

Name:	E3DA0366-BC35-4B1C-B473-E84A7093A3C8.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	441874
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rjbachtold; January 18, 2018, 08:28 PM.

My first pork butt took 16 hours at 225, gonna take it up to 250 or 275 next time
    deja vu

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

That looks good. I’m sure it was great!

I’ve found the magic temp to pull is 203 for me, at 195 it’s not quite as tender and the bone does take a little more effort to pull, a little over 200 it pulls right out.

Hitting 300 while wrapped in foil is a non issue. All that said, my butts take 12 to 1t hours as I don’t wrap.

Comment

• Rjbachtold
          Rjbachtold commented
          Editing a comment
          It was good. I think I’ll try that next time. Take it to a higher temp. Also I’d like to not wrap next time I think.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          If you don’t wrap at the stall it may take 4-5 hours longer, I’ve had it stall in the 160’s for hours when smoking at 225. Wrapping or increasing smoker temp above 225 are the ways to push through the stall faster.

People using a PBC cook closer to 300* than 200* with great results. So a butt can definitely take the heat. Next time shoot for 250* to 275*. If it's done early, put it in a faux cambro. In fact, most here try to plan on putting meat in a cambro for several hours. That will help with tenderness. And don't forget to save the drippings to add back to the meat after pulling. Some seperate the fat out and some don't.

Comment

• Rjbachtold
          Rjbachtold commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the tips! Definitely some things to try for next time. I did save the drippings and added them back. It helped keep it moist

I agree with RonB^. Pork butts are one meat that can handle large temp swings. And since we shred pork butts, taking them up high and holding them there a long time is perfectly fine, actually it's preferred. Don't want to do that with briskets whcih you're typically going to slice, but butts or chucks (for pulled beef) that's preferred. If yours was tough in spots it just needed more time. 40 minites isn't enough. If you had held it at 195 for say 2 hrs, you'd have been more tender throughout. Pork butt tenderness is a factor of both temp and time. 205 degrees for an hour, or 194 for 4 hrs would liekly get you very similar results. When I cook pork butts unwrapped, they're usually done and plenty tender deep inside by the time they hit 195. When I wrap (which I usually do) I like to go to 200-205 or even 209 I don't care, and then give them a minimal of a 2hr hold. More if my schedule requires they wait longer. Anyway, my suggestion is next time give yourself 10-12 hrs minimal of the meat being on heat. And a word of warning if you try to go unwrapped, give yourself 14-16.

Comment

• Rjbachtold
          Rjbachtold commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for your help!

Looks great!

Comment

Congratulations! It looks lieveryone I have done. I usually wrap after the cook and let it rest in an ice chest for about two hours unless I am in a time crunch. Then I wrap while cooking to get through the stall quickly. I don’t think the 300temp hurt it. I usually cook it to 200. I cook on a Big Green Egg. My only question would be did you let it rest wrapped or unwrapped? I have never injected. I have done at least 100 or more both bone i. And boneless. I prefer bone in. They usually are ten pounders. Was yours a small tied up one?

Comment

I wrapped while it rested, and it was a bone in and not tied up

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here