Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No sugar bacon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sugar bacon?

Can I omit the sugar from the bacon recipes on the site’s recipe section? Does the sugar need to be there as part of the cure? I will be using plaque powder #1 as directed, and plan to use the basic cure recipe Meathead presents.

EDIT: I just mixed the simple bacon recipe but without the brown sugar, as we are on a no added sugar kick for the month due to Whole 30. Let me know if the sugar is required, and I’ll add it to the bags and mix things up. I had a 5.5 pound pork belly and just cut it in half and am doing two pieces in two bags at the moment.
    Last edited by jfmorris; January 15, 2018, 08:07 PM.

I believe that the sugar adds flavor to the cured product but is not necessary for safety of the curing process. Leaving it out will change the flavor of the end product. I like the touch of sweetness that sugar &/or maple syrup adds to bacon but to each, their own. There really is not much actual sugar in the finished product if you are omitting it for health reasons. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks HorseDoctor. This is an experiment due to my wife having started us on this Whole 30 diet with no sugar for 30 days, other than what is in fruit. I too would rather just add the sugar, as I feel it’s just a flavoring component.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        So use some fruit juice. I may be wrong, but it is only the nitrates that have to be followed religiously, the rest is open to experiment. Banana Bacon anyone?

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        ComfortablyNumb, I think I will skip the banana bacon! I thought about some apple juice in place of the water, but it’s been brined for a few hours. I think it will be good, and I can do it different next time.

I just reread Meathead’s article about curing meat, and other than the salt and nitrite, other items such as sugar are flavoring and remain at the surface. So I think I’ve answered my own question. After a 3 day rest in the solution I’ll be smoking some home made bacon! 🤪

Comment

I just smoked a pork shoulder today and made a batch of Memphis Dust using erythritol in place of both sugars. It turned out great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	15160746592432063171335.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	440595Click image for larger version

Name:	151607469857967425835.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	440596

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd be careful with that stuff. Gives me gastric discomfort and horrid bathroom visits if I eat too much of it.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Potkettleblack Good point. But there's very little ingested since it's a rub on a big piece of meat. Making cookies with it would be different. I should have taken pictures because the bark was phenomenal. I'll probably be sticking with this for my version of Memphis Dust.

Interesting! Plus it’s alcohol - hahaha. Sugar alcohol is probably not the kind to give you a buzz though.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Ain't rum jus' sugar alcohol?
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; January 19, 2018, 06:12 PM.

As long as you don't mess with the liquids in the cure, you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
          As long as you don't mess with the liquids in the cure, you should be fine.
          Exactly, I got that much. I read through the bacon making article and the page about liquid cures several times. I just omitted the brown sugar, but kept the distilled water, salt, pepper and nitrite levels the same.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            You should be good to go then!

I've used this one to good result. Almost no sugar, so just skip it!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Ed!

Bacon is ON!

Name:	IMG_7540.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	442134

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

And bringing home the bacon... the Smoke went off when it hit 150 in the thickest spot. Unfortunately when spot checking with the Thermapen, we had some temps as high as 158 in other parts of the slab. Oh well. I am sure it will still be good to fry up!

Name:	IMG_7544.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	442187Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7547.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	442186

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                It won'e be a problem at all!

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                That looks Great, brother!

Beautiful! The higher temps won’t hurt it at all.

Comment

I often get temps from 150-165 or more on various areas of bacon slabs. No harm! Good luck!

Comment

Fixing to fry some yo for dinner with some eggs! I couldn’t wait until morning!

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And the bacon is pronounced GOOD. Definitely doing it again.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here