Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork hocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork hocks

I've always just smoked my pork hocks for use in other dishes. Would curing then smoking enhance the flavor it adds to other dishes?

For sure!

Comment

I like taking the boney part of spare rib, the sternum, and hocking them. salt fora few days, smoke then use as a ham hock.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        that's exactly what I do too!

I have about 20 Hocks I was planning to cure. Should the skin be removed before I cure them?
      Last edited by nickgutnick; January 24, 2018, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I would remove the skin. Allow that Prague powder to work!

• nickgutnick
        nickgutnick commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Spinaker that’s what I’ll do.

• aarontbell
        aarontbell commented
        Editing a comment
        I would leave skin on. Hocks are usually thrown in with beans or a stew to make the broth liquid into a broth. Then skin adds to the flavor and texture of the liquid they are simmered in. Hocks have a nice bone/skin/fat/tissue ratio which is important when turning water into broth. That is why often they are added to a recipe for an hour or two then removed and the meat cut off.

Oh yeah!

Comment

I've never worked with pork hocks before but I need some for a red beans and rice recipe that's moving up on my list. We have a local meat market that smokes their own and I plan on buying them when the recipe hits the top of the list.

Comment

Using the chef steps recipe(kind of)I decided to Sous vide 3 of them for tomorrow. My question is,I pan seared them before bagging. Can I smoke them when they are done? It’s supposed to take 24 hours but is it okay to remove before that and put it on the smoker for the last 3 hours? Last question is why doesn’t this wonderful piece of meat get more attention on this site?
          Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here