Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh Leg of pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh Leg of pork

My neighbour Dianne saw this at the local market and she bought it for me to smoke. I am looking for suggestions? Click image for larger version

Name:	193DCDF7-0CC3-4185-9A6A-929553935EBB.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	437426 this

Unless you can show us the whole chunk, we can only assume its the shoulder and picnic. Trim it up, maybe cut into more manageable chunks and smoke on! Someone with more knowledge can help.

Comment

Looks like a "fresh ham" (hind leg) to me. Turn it into a cured ham via MeatHead’s recipe would be a good solution.

Comment

I agree with curing, but if you don't want to do that, another thought I had would be to treat it like a butt, chop it, and mix in some of MH's DC Mambo sauce. Teriyaki pork.

Comment

Yes it is a fresh leg of pork. It weighs 10.2 kg/ about 23# and I was wondering how long it would take to wet brine to make ham?
          Could you make pulled pork or is there not enough fat?

Comment

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            Hind leg is pretty lean to make pulled pork. Probably why it has been made into ham for eons... Check various recipes for curing time. It will depend on whether or not you inject the cure too or just soak. Good luck & enjoy!

I decided to brine it and make ham, so it trimmed it up last night and put it into a large SS pot to brine it. I am following Meatheads recipe. I will have to use the brining calculator next to determine how long to leave it in the brine.

Comment

Good call. As others have already stated, it’s too lean to make pulled pork (or similar). But it’s great for ham! Just get rid of the skin first.

Comment

Keep us posted on this cook!

Comment

I just checked on my pork leg and it smells and brine is cloudy so I am stopping the experiment and throwing it out. Not sure what happened, it has been in the brine solution about eight days now, the fruit cellar is at 34- 36F range. If I attempt another one it will be with a smaller piece of meat.

Comment

Always best to trust your sniffer and not risk it, I think you made a wise decision. Sorry to hear that though, I was hoping your post here would have beautiful finished product pics! We were rooting for ya!

Comment

That is larger than the picnic, but I have gotten excellent results doing Cuban Pork with a brine marinade. It is a unique twist on the picnic.

Comment

Eight days in sub-refrigerator temps and it's spoiled??? Sumpin ain't right with this picture! I don't know what, but that doesn't "compute"!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here