Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

next up on pellet smoker: Pork Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

next up on pellet smoker: Pork Butt

Planning my first pork butt on Monday, figured smoke all day and have friends over for the ncaa football championship game Monday night. Throw together some classic deli slaw and some beans with bacon. Bought a 7.5 lb Berkshire bone in pork butt heritage today and will brine lightly Sunday morning and put it on the smoker at midnight. That gives me a 12 hour smoke at 225 and a few more hours since all my cooks so far seem to go longer. I will have the faux cambro ready if it finishes up early and hopefully feed guests at 6pm. My friend is on call in case of a crisis and I know my new friends here will be also called to duty! Wish me luck, my mouth is already watering........oh, and did I mention beer?

Best of luck, from here, amigo!
    I reckon ya' got this, unless summat disastrous occurs...
    Enjoy yer game, an' friend time!

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      what could happen??? besides good times, we roll with what ever we get!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I'm talkin', yessir... smokenoob
      Roll with it!

Berkshire pork is where it is at man!!! Enjoy! serve with this https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ecue-sauce-mop but use chipotle peppers ground up instead of the crushed red pepper, & Pickles!

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      chipolte.....yum!

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      couldn't say it better myself

If you start to worry about it being ready on time, don't be afraid to raise the temp. Some here smoke butts at over 300*.

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      got it!

If you want to try out a special slaw, check out this one. I can't make pulled pork without it:

Mary Lee's, "I Fought the Slaw and The Slaw Won"
    These are from the Jack Daniel's old time Barbecue cookbook by Vince Staten. (with an Elder Ward twist)
    • 3 LBS. cabbage
    • 3 ribs of celery
    • 1 onion (yellow)
    • 1 bell pepper
    • 3 carrots
    • 2 C sugar (Hawaiian when you can get it.)
    Shred, chop or dice all and mix with sugar. Set cabbage mixture aside.
    • 1/2 Cup of white vinegar
    • 1/2 Cup of Apple Cider vinegar
    • 1/2 C olive oil (my twist)
    • 1 tsp celery seed
    • 1 tsp (kosher salt)
    Bring all to a boil and pour over cabbage mixture and chill overnight.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll be interested in your assessment. I love this stuff, especially on the sandwich.

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      that looks pretty similar to what I hav lined up! thanks!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Brother!!!
      Happy Weekend!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	436735Click image for larger version

Views:	110
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	436734Click image for larger version

Views:	106
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	436733 My pork butt cook is on! Went on 10 hours ago at midnight. It's currently smokin' at 225 and pork sitting at 168 deg. When it hits 203 I plan to faux cambro until guests arrive for dinner (3-5 hours later).
    Since it will be a long hard day "smokin'", I decided a good base foundation was in order so cooked up some eggs and......you guessed it: bacon! (well I needed some bacon for the beans and I had to be sure it was done right, right?). anyway, so far so good!

another topic / question. I'm making classic deli slaw with sour cream and mayo. Some of my guests are "fire eaters". Any suggestions on cajun spices to take the slaw up a notch?
    thanks!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Black pepper, white pepper, red pepper, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; January 8, 2018, 04:07 PM.

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      have all that, will have to put some slaw aside and spank it!

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      one chopped jalapano and a few tsp of chimayo did the trick!
      may try chipolte next time!

i hope all the timing works out for you. don't forget pics!

Comment

A 10 hour look under the hood

Views:	103
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	436754

Comment

It’s 15 hours in at 225 deg
        IT just hit 190
        Hope its on track for serving in 2.5 hours! Click image for larger version

Name:	0F57EEEF-A847-4052-A39C-B9FB7D65E988.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	436872

Comment

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks beautiful! How'd it turn out?

• smokenoob
          smokenoob commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome! I'll post results soon!

Well the pulled pork was a major success! A friend of mine who has a green egg and smokes often said it was excellent!
        Summary:
        Camp Chef smokepro dlx
        B&B hickory pellets
        High smoke setting (225 acording to Camp Chef)
        Thermoworks Smoke ranged 180-230, averaged less than 225
        Berkshire 7.5 lb bone in heritage pork butt
        smoked 16 hours on "hi smoke" then turned it up to 250 for 1 hour because it was close to serving time
        removed from smoker at IT 203
        faux cambro for 1.15 hours
        pulled and served with slaw & beans
        bone pulled out clean and there was a few fat spots that needed to be removed, not much though

I'm no expert and don't get to the "best" bbq resturants so take with a grain of brine......
        IT WAS AWESOME, had nice bark and was very juicy!

I've done 5 cooks on my new pellet smoker now and all of them have taken longer than suggested by the Meathead recipies, it is winter and has been windy but I was wondering if my smoker was a bit off.
        My friend suggested I bump the temp to 250 sooner but I'm not sure if that would produce less smoke.

Views:	117
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	437394

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Looks like it should! Nice job.

Comment

,,,,, roll tide roll !!!!!!

Comment

• smokenoob
                smokenoob commented
                Editing a comment
                Go Gators!

Looks like a great result. As my pellet smoker varies around the set point it definitely spends more time below than above set point, so average temp is below set point. On butts I usually run on low smoke setting (high smoke if windy or temps below about 20) for about 2 hours then increase set temp to 275. I've been happy with the smoke level and bark. 9.5 lb butts are finishing in 8 to 10 hours at these temperatures.

Comment

• smokenoob
                smokenoob commented
                Editing a comment
                Good to know Jerry, that sounds like how mine is operating.

My smokin’ friend commented that the smoke only effects the meat in the first few hours so turning it up after that should not make the cook any less smokey. Does that sound right?

Comment

• CandySueQ
                CandySueQ commented
                Editing a comment
                That's true.

• Pebcak
                Pebcak commented
                Editing a comment
                I have been known to smoke for a couple hours then move it inside into the oven when I was in -30 weather in the past.

If you get too much smoke it can have a bitter taste. There IS such a thing as too much smoke I've learned.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here