Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole Pork Shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole Pork Shoulder

I am getting a huge whole pork shoulder (both the picnic/boston) from a red wattle pig - it will be around 30+ pounds with the bone in. They are really big / tasty pigs!!! Has anyone smoked a whole pork shoulder of this size before? Any suggestions? How long did it take?

Nope. I sure would like to see that though. I would add a little extra time though.๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from NE Washington state. Along with tips, techniques, and recipes about BBQ we have a lot of fun. If you like music, go to this thread to hear what others are listening to and share what you like. For jokes, go to this thread. Happy to have you along and looking forward to your participation.

As for the whole shoulder, no I haven't. However I soon will be as soon as I have to time to slaughter a barrow I have ready to harvest.

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg. Unless you are feeding a huge group, you could cut a piece off and save it for later. Otherwise a long cook, might need a whole case of beer.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd probably split it myself, but mainly because I don't have a huge audience here.

Welcome to The Pit. Sorry I can't help you. BUT I am lookin' forward to photos from the cook.

Comment

I will certainly post pictures. Right now my plan is to smoke it for ~20-24 hours at 220, hold in a cooler for a few hours, crisp the skin at 500 for 30 min, and then hold for 30 and then pull (or slice if necessary). I am basing it on the times for whole hogs.

Comment

I've never cooked one but would love to see a photo when you get it, and after cooking of course and welcome aboard.

Comment

Welcome wjc261

Comment

Looking forward to pics of that beast!

Comment

30lbs is a big shoulder. for 20-22's we budget 18 hrs so your in the ballpark.

Comment

• wjc261
                    wjc261 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is good to know. Thanks!

Hmmmm big hunk o meat. Cut it into smaller hunks for more bark?

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                    Jon Solberg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No need. There's be lots of bark. Its incredible!
                    Last edited by Jon Solberg; January 2, 2018, 08:12 PM.

I too like the whole thing,and can't wait for the photos!

Comment

You could probably do a search for cooking "beef shoulder clod" and get some helpful info on time etc... It too is a BIG piece of meat.

Comment

• bardsleyque
                      bardsleyque commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've done a whole clod called it a "little chuckie". It was somewhere around 30 lbs.I think it took around 20 hrs.and probably could've gone a little longer! I'd like to try another one!

• wjc261
                      wjc261 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      "I've done a whole clod called it a "little chuckie". It was somewhere around 30 lbs.I think it took around 20 hrs.and probably could've gone a little longer! I'd like to try another one!"

Thank you! What temperature did you smoke little chuckie at / what was the internal temperature when you pulled it?

• bardsleyque
                      bardsleyque commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The temp was between 220/250 I think I.T.was 180ish I had to get it served,would've liked to have gone 200ish and more probe tender!

Well, I guess you have to be flexible when you BBQ. The slaughter house made a mistake and cut the boston part into pork steaks and turned the rest into ground pork. So, I didn't end up getting the shoulder I was hoping. I was able to get two 8 pound Boston buts from a different pig (black wattle - which is a cross between a red wattle and a large black). Since I invited the neighborhood I picked up an inside top round primal cut of beef. Thank you for your help. I will try to get a real pork shoulder later in the year and will post pictures of it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here