Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Years Eve Baby Backs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Years Eve Baby Backs

Its a balmy 27F here in Durham, NC today, but neighbors requested BBs tonight so I’m giving it the old college try. It’s the maiden voyage with my new 26” kettle w/ SNS, excited to see how this goes. Nothing too special going on, using up a rub I made a month or so ago from an online recipe. Next time I plan to make Memphis dust though. Just got up to temp, hope everyone has a happy and safe New Year’s Eve, I’ll post a pic of the end result tonight.
    Attached Files

Lookn good Happy New Year!

Comment

Beautiful! Happy New Year! Cheers!

Comment

After 5 hours I think they’re "ready" (and not just "done"). Struggled slightly with all the new equipment, slight learning curve, but my 9 year old just devoured a rib and proclaimed it a "10 out of 10" so I guess I can serve them. Happy new year, and stay safe - cheers!
        Attached Files

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Look great

You are off to a good start.

Comment

Those do look spectacular... if they're looking that great at the bottom of your "learning curve," I think your friends and family are going to benefit greatly from the process! lol

Good job, man, and Happy New Year!

Comment

They look awesome!!!! Nice job my brother.
            You’re gonna have a lot of great cooks on that 26.
            And a Happy New Year to you my friend. 💥

Comment

Those ribs look delicious!
              Happy New Year!

Comment

Good looking ribs. If this is your college try, I think you can move on to graduate studies.

Comment

Great job! You deserve this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	award.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	432523

Comment

Thanks all, appreciate the kind words, they were a big hit. They had a significant smoke ring but not as much of a smokey taste as the last one I did on my 22” kettle using the snake method, even though I used the same amount of apple wood chunks. That was just a single rack though, maybe more racks require more wood chunks? Or maybe I need to figure out better placement of the chunks in the SNS? I also expected the SNS XL to burn for at least 8 hours, but I actually had to add fuel for the last hour (I was up tp temp at 2pm, had to add at 6pm). My guess is this was due to the frigid temps. I’ve always used Kingsford blue but I may try a bag of Weber briquettes, I got to experience them at a buddy’s house and they definitely burned longer. I’ve read Kingsford Long Burning just isnt. So many questions from a basically successful smoke, if anyone has any insights I’m all ears. And happy 2018!

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      In warm or hot weather you should get a good 8+ hrs at 225ish w/ Kingsford Original, even 10 in some cases. In cold weather, yeah you'll use a lot more. Be sure to keep an air space between your SnS and the outer wall of the kettle. An inch if you can.

• FishTalesNC
                      FishTalesNC commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ahhh, that makes sense. With it flush against the kettle I was pretty much heating the kettle itself and losing out to the freezing temps. A 1” buffer would heat the air inside the kettle more efficiently. Thanks Huskee!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here