Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smithfield Spareribs and Butts - Prime vs Regular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smithfield Spareribs and Butts - Prime vs Regular?

I live here in the Commonwealth of VA, where it seems the only pork you can buy is from Smithfield (who is now unfortunately owned by China). I noticed Sams Club sells Smithfield Prime Reserve whereas the local grocery stores sell regular Smithfield products. I checked and neither product is injected or packaged in salt solution. I am wondering if anyone has noticed any difference between the regular and Prime Reserve Smithfield products. Thanks.

Todd

I've not been able to compare. I know pork butts in general between different brands in the grocery store are very very consistent. I seek out the lowest price and have never had a problem with quality.

Comment

Not tried "regular" Smithfield but have had no problem with any of the stuff Sam’s sells! It’s not heritage Berkshire, but pretty durn good for commercial pork!

Comment

Since 2013.

Personally I not noticed a significant difference in the two. I believe it is more of a branding thing for Sams.

Comment

I've seen the Smithfield Reserve stuff in Sams but have never purchased any. I've been pretty happy with Smithfield's products over all. I purchase most of my product through a local food service company and buy by the case. Pork Butts and ribs are usually Smithfield or Creekstone. Seaboard is another manufacturer I often buy.
          Sam's Club ribs usually come three in a pack. You can't see the rib in the middle which often times is the runt of the litter. .

Comment

I find that I end up trimming quite a bit less exterior fat with the Prime Reserve butts. For that reason, I feel like I get more good meat for my money.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here